Sunday, January 23, 2005

Reading List

I added my reading list as a permanent feature of this blog. Hopefully, I'll get to update it often (read: finish at least one book from that list). I've mentioned that I love to read. I live by it. If I don't get to read at least one new book a week, I'll go nuts. I end up reading one of my old books.

I've lost count on the amount of books that I have. I managed to catalogue them last year but I ended up losing the only softcopy (I never learn my lesson. I'm so lazy to back-up!) that I have. Thus, I have to do the task all over again. Last count I had around almost 700 books (non-fiction, fiction, pamphlets and whatever. As long as it's reading material and bound, it's considered a book. E-books are not included. Hmmm, maybe I should do a catalogue for that too). Maybe during the summer break. Besides, I have to clean my room. I was not able to do that during the Christmas break.

One thing I hate about cataloguing is the dust. I'm asthmatic and dust is my number one enemy. With the amount of books that I have (lining one wall), you could just imagine the amount of dust that has already settled in my room.

UNDEAD and UNWED; UNDEAD AND UNEMPLOYED and other books

These books are entertaining to read. Never encountered a story about the undead (vampires) told in a humorous and cosmo way. I scoured Powerbooks for the author's other books or those of the same genre.

Buying Davidson's books were a big gamble for me. I don't buy books of authors who I barely know--unless they are recommended. Books are so costly these days that I could buy two lunches with just one book, thus I choose them carefully. I made a bad decision last week when I decided to try an author with dozens of books on display at National (Nora Roberts' Key of Knowledge). I threw the book on the floor after just reading the first chapter. I don't know if I outgrew those kind of stories or I was looking for something more interesting.

Davidson's language is very apt. She uses language used by the common person. The basic premise of her story is that a secretary died and rose to become queen of the vampires. You might think it's a common thing, but what makes it unique is that queen's fetish for shoes. She was easily persuaded by a pair of Jimmy Choo's.

A friend once recommended Jose Saramego to me. I had a crush on him that time so I forced myself to finish the books even if the language was so tedious, just so I could talk to him about the books. I would recommend Saramego although only to the serious reader. His book that I first read was entitled "The Gospel According to Jesus Christ". You might think it's a religious story--it's far from it. Saramego is a Nobel Prize winner too.

You might think that I'm a serious reader. I'm a "voracious" reader actually. I can read anything--well, almost anything. Textbooks tire me but I can still speed read them. I also and still read "pop" stuff--you know, stuff whose main purpose is just to entertain and not to feed the mind. I have lots of those. I've been an avid subscriber of "People" Magazine (the US version) for almost two years now. I also subscribe to Reader's Digest (their book compliations are also good. I got my "Encounters with the Unknown" and "Quiz Night" from them). We also subscribe to "Time" but that's our boarder's. Since she's moving out by month end, I guess I have to start my own subscription. I'm also thinking of subscribing to "Fortune" as a support for my MBA readings. Gosh, so many stuff to read. My brain is in heaven. And my eyesight will pay for that I'm sure. My grade might go up an notch (groan).

No comments: