Friday, July 11, 2008

Blood Tests

I got my blood test and urinalysis results today.

Let's start with the good news:

White Blood Count - Normal (high)
Red Blood Count - Normal (high)
Red Cell Distribution Width - Normal (high)
Rapid Plasma Reagin - Nonreactive
HEPA A/B - Negative (although there's no Antibody meaning I'm not immunized against it)
Urinalysis - nothing out of the ordinary

Bad news:

My Mean Cell Volume (MCV) and Mean Corpuscular Hgb (MCH) are low which is an indication of Thalassemia which my doctor says excessive bleeding. I was surprised as I don't really experience that much bleeding (well, papercuts sucks but they clot quickly). She also said that it is hereditary. If both my husband and I test positive for it, our baby might have it so we have to tell the attending pedia during birth to be extra-careful with the baby.

My blood sugar is high. Normal is 7.2 but my result was 7.7. My doctor already suspected this that was why she had me take the Oral Glucose Challenge this early in my pregnancy. Before I got pregnant, I was already diagnosed with Polycystic Ovaries and those with such a condition are known to have abnormal sugar levels. Fortunately, I was tested normal for my sugar early this year. Now that my sugar has risen, my doctor ordered me to take another test -- 3 hour 100g oral glucose tolerance test. I really hate this test. I previously had the 2hr 50 g test and that sucked. I have to drink this really sweet orangy thing and they had to take blood from me 3 times. With the 3 hour test, they will have to extract blood from me 4 times! And I have to stay in the hospital for 3 hours!

This test will prove if I'm considered diabetic. Right now, my doctor told me to already avoid simple sugars (meaning no cakes, ice cream, pastries, softdrinks, fruit juices/shakes...basically anything sweet). Later on, they'll probably modify my diet to even avoid food that allowed for diabetics.

Oh well, at least the doctor was able to detect it this early.

On a happier note, I had another ultrasound yesterday where the baby's nuchal transluscency was measured and to check for am an early indication for any abnormalities. Thank God that the results are normal.

During the ultrasound, we saw that baby is fully formed. We could see the head, hands, arms, legs and butt! His/her arms were flailing around and was even kicking. Measurement from head to rump is 51.23 mm with 148 beats/minute. The placenta is located anteriorly and not anywhere near the cervix.

8 comments:

Norrie Blackeby said...

Thanks for the update Sunshine. Medical science is so good nowadays that they can pinpoint these problems early. Good luck.

Rene David said...

I'm glad you and my apo are healthy. Looking forward to hold her/him in my arms. :-)

JC Sobejana said...

It's nice to hear all those good news you said. About the Thalassemia, yes we do have that disorder in our family. All Mommy's sisters has that disorder. Though I was not tested for it during my pregnancy...maybe my doctor didn't see the problem on my blood tests. Just to let you know...don't be alarmed when you have minor bleeding especially nose bleeding because it is common and I also do get that often. The only thing you should be alarmed off is when it doesn't stop. You may also get rectal bleeding...that's when you're constipated :) I guess that's also one of the purpose of your doctor why she wants to explore further...excessive bleeding during your pregnancy.

FYI, if you notice you never have elevated sugar when you're not pregnant and you only had it when you got pregnant. You know why? It's because your pancrease is producing more insulin for your baby. But it doesn't mean when you have gestation diabetes meron ka ng DM..its just you're at higher risk for getting it again during your future pregnancies.

God bless on your upcoming blood tests. You'll be ok. Don't worry about it.

Sunshine Sangalang said...

i took the 3 hr OGT kanina. i really didn't wanted to push through with it but since i didn't want to postpone the inevitable, pinilit ko nalang sarili ko.
ganon nga ang nangyari. sobrang struggle talaga na hindi ko isuka yung liquid. kung anu-anong distraction ang ginawa ko. the first extraction was 8:55 and then one hour after the other. nung dumating na ang 12pm, namumutla na talaga ako at nanghihina. more than 12 hours na kasi akong hindi kumakain at binuburp ko yung orange. kadiri talaga.
tapos, yung 3 extraction, sa left arm ko. isa lang sa right. ok pa yung first 2 eh, pero yung 3rd and 4th, sumasakit na talaga kasi same vein ang ginamit nila.
if i test positive for GD nga for this exam, i'll be seeing an endocrinologist who will put me on a low-sugar or sugar-free diet and who will probably have me do other tests (huhu. ayoko na!).

JC Sobejana said...

well...you know what to do next time before you plan to get pregnant para lesser ang risk mo for high sugar. hey, there's still hope...there's no result yet right? you'll be ok.

Rene David said...

hang on there shine.. you'll be alright!!!

Nonie David Carluen said...

these tests are really such pain but unfortunately are necessary. anyway just keep soldiering on and good luck to your other tests. are you having an amnio test?

Sunshine Sangalang said...

what's an amnio test? i will be having a congenital ultrasound by the 5th or 6th month. i don't know kung kasama yon.