Thursday, September 02, 2004

Offer

I received a job offer today and I have spent the whole afternoon thinking whether I should take it or not. If I were to think of the compensation only, I might take the bait. However, I also have to consider the benefits.

When I attended the case workshop on my first term, the professor shared some tidbits on job changing. Before that, he identified the top reasons on why people leave:
1. boss/immediate superior
2. working environment
3. compensation
4. work itself

I have no problems with the first two. I do, however, have problems with the third issue. For a multinational employee, I am underpaid compared to my peers. The reason for the unequal distribution is that some of the officers who has the same level as mine (or even one rank below), have been in the bank longer. Moreover, some of them were pirated from other companies, thus the higher pay.

The professor further added that if you have no problems with the first two, only accept the offer if compensation is at LEAST 40% that what you're getting right now. The thing is, I'll be leaving a really great boss and a great team. Will I be happier when I move to the other company? Moreover, the company is a local one and not as par with my current employer.

Upon discussing this issue with my SO, he said that he will support me in whatever decision I will make. However, he just asked me why people are not satisfied with what they have. It was a matter of a fact question but it hit me. Hard. I have always been happy with what I have. The issue of compensation has never bothered me before--except now. Leo reminded me that there are things more important than money. He also reminded me that we should be happy with what God has given us and not go searching for more things which would eventually lead to more problems.

I still haven't truly decided on my course of action. The offer is not formal yet. I just had initial discussions with the manager. I'll just cross the bridge when I get there.

No comments: