Sunday, March 06, 2022

The Batman

Dear Ernie,

When my husband asked me if I wanted to watch The Batman, I automatically said yes because it's the first time in more than two years that we'll be able to watch a movie at the cinema. I didn't care what film it was as long as I get to watch it on screen.

I did not even research what the movie was about. I just got the details literally minutes before the screening. I'm just like, ok, it's another superhero movie. Yey. For the life of me, I forgot that this was the movie starring Robert Pattinson--my Twilight crush. My husband even teased me for being a fake fan for not knowing about it. 

Funny that after the movie, I suddenly remembered you and got sad all of a sudden. I recall how much you loved the Joker, Batman and even Star Wars. If there was no pandemic and you're still here, you would've rented out a moviehouse again and watched it with your friends. You would've nitpicked the suit or even Rob's voice. Maybe we would see each other the Monday after and dissected the story or even that ending. 

It was a very morose on the drive home. I wanted to just drive out onto the highway and talk to you in my head. But my head was telling me that I just filled up my tank and gas is very expensive as hell. 

I'm interested what would be your take in this version but as for me, I liked it. In the past Batman movies, the Bruce Wayne persona is always handsome, dashing or well put together. But this Bruce Wayne, Rob played him to be tortured and brooding which is more realistic for an orphan who chose to be a recluse. Even if I'm not a fan of Rob whenever he's interviewed, he plays characters so well--whatever they may be. 

I really like the version of this batsuit (though it's interesting that he was never called "Batman" during the whole film). I would've discussed it with you more in detail. So many things we could've talked about (sigh).

I ended up messaging Dette to ask her to have lunch next week. I don't know if she has watched it but I'll certainly tell her about it.

Looking forward to the day when we can get to talk about this--and other movies that you might have missed.

Take care up there. 

No comments: