Sunday, August 22, 2021

Korean Lessons

I started taking Korean lessons a couple of years ago at a place somewhere in Pasig. I would drive every Saturday, together with my neighbor, so we could attend free classes together with almost a hundred other students.

I found it difficult at first as my classmates had some knowledge of the language while I had nil. I struggled to catch up and my ahjumma brain could not cope. I ended up flunking the course which affected my confidence.

I studied by myself and practiced writing the alphabet and tried to teach myself a few words. Of course, I picked up some expressions from the kdramas and kvariety shows that I watch. 

But I decided to pick it up again and took a course in conversational Korean at the Verb Hive. Fortunately, I'm already familiar with the language so it's a matter of sentence construction and putting together the correct words. My pronunciation sucks though. The polite and informal language makes it more confusing but I'm slowly getting there. 

I had my first class last weekend and I was happily surprised that our 선셍님 (seonsangnim - teacher) looks like Seungri of Big Bang. This time around, I was able to follow the teacher and slowly put construct (hopefully) palatable sentences. The assignments were also fun though it's really taking so much of my time. Might as well as there's no Korean dramas to watch. 

Fighting!



No comments: