Wednesday, August 04, 2021

Smart Home

I've always been a fan of automation--of being able to do things better. More often than not, I'm at the end-user and always have someone to do the nitty gritty programming for me. But ever since I saw my oppa's, Ha Seok Jin, high-tech home on his YT channel, I was inspired to do the same thing for our bedroom. 

However, I'm not much of a techie and I abhor the thought of programming anything (that's why I quit my Com Sci course) so I didn't bother much to think about it. But when a member of one of the FB groups I belong to posted an idiot-guide on how to do simple smart home tricks, I decided to try it on my own. 

My hubby recently installed his old Google Chromecast on my TV as he bought a new one. He paired it with my Google Home on my phone and I initially just used it in casting VIU, IQIYI and my other Kdrama watching apps on the TV. Just for the heck, I tried saying, "Hey google, open the TV" and it just responded. I was so lit! 

I went back to the idiot-guide and followed the advice of the poster. I went to Lazada and Shopee and bought the following:

1. Google Nest Mini Smart Speaker - This will serve as the main controller. Out of all the stuff that I ordered, this was the last one to arrive. It's easy to include in Google Home. Am a bit wary though in the information being stored but it's just so convenient!

2. Google Chromecast - This is actually nice if your TV is not "smart" and has no apps installed. But in my case, I use it to cast the kdramas from the apps that I use (e.g. VIU, IQYI, WeTv and Viki). I know it also contains Netflix but I already have it installed on the TV. For this instance, I use Chromecast to turn the tv on/off.

3. LASCO Wifi Smart IR - This is what I use to connect my aircon as well as other appliances that can be controlled by Infrared and within line of sight of the device. 

4. Wifi Smart Plug - I used this to wirelessly connect my non-IR devices such as the electric fans. 

I've managed to connect all the appliances to my Google Home and I'm actually amazed. My Google Nest arrived late so I've been controlling everything first via my phone which is such a hassle as it will only work if my phone is unlocked. 

So far, I managed to voice-activate the aircon, tv and electric fan. My next project would be the lights and eventually, the curtains (the last as it's the most expensive due to the needed motor). I also intend to program in some "if-then" scenarios. I'm pretty excited over it as the possibilities are endless. 

Now, if I can just get rid of all the clutter in our room. There's just too much stuff which I haven't used in over a year. The hoarder in me refused to let them go. 

Here's Ha Seok Jin's video where he explained how he did it for his home.

No comments: