Sunday, August 01, 2021

Hindi Ka Nag-iisa

 


When Pres Noynoy died last June, I wasn't able to grieve for him as much as I did when his parents passed away as I was in the middle of my own crisis. It's only now that I felt the impact of his death.

He was not the perfect president--and I doubt no one ever was or will be. I have had my own frustrations with him but as a Filipino, I am proud of what he had accomplished and the legacy that he had left behind. 

I grieve not only for the man who died but I also grieve for the time that I can truly feel proud about being a Filipino; of my government; of my country. 

I've always known the realities of having different parties and sides  but for the past 5 years, never have I felt our country so divided. It's difficult to bring up that feeling of patriotism and love for country when you don't see that trait being exhibited by our leaders. Our recent victories in a worldwide sport event and even the bayanihan of some of our countrymen during this pandemic managed to bring up some love but that was even tainted by politics.

We have our chance to resurrect our patriotism or even salvage our country as we elect a new set of leaders next year. I have yet to see the final roster and make my choice but I hope our fellow citizens will have the same mindset. 

Hopefully, one day, we can truly say to our neighbor again, "Hindi ka nag-iisa".

No comments: