Saturday, October 09, 2004

Earthquake!

An 6.3 earthquake hit our island 10:30 last night. It was the strongest earthquake I've experienced since the 7.1 that devastated Baguio last 1991 (prior Pinatubo).

Leo and I were at Cinema 2 of Greenbelt 3 watching Shark's Tale and I just came from the restroom. Just as I sat down, I felt my chair shake. I just looked at Leo while half of the theater's patrons hurried to the exits. I asked him whether we should be also heading for the exits but he just sat there saying that it will pass and he continued on watching as if nothing extraordinary was happening. I sat there all tense while I gripped his hand tightly silently praying that nothing catastrophic will happen.

The earthquake lasted for approximately half a minute. I immediately called the house inquiring about everyone and ensuring that everyone is safe. I informed them of my whereabouts and that I will be heading home as soon as the traffic clears (most of the people suddenly wanted to leave).

I couldn't help but be paranoid about yesterday's earthquake. The 1991 earthquake was still fresh in my mind. I was in the school's library chatting with the librarian when the quake hit. My friend and I scurried under a table and prayed for dear life while I saw the 10 ft high shelves topple over.

The swaying lights overhead (it was an old building. Ours was an old school) crashed on the table we were hiding under. I hurried home after that and I remembered crying when I got home (I was 16 years old then). Scanning this morning's news report, no major catastrophe has been reported. Thank God!

No comments: