Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Cross the Stitch

Angel of Hope, finished May 19, 2013
I learned how to cross-stitch when I was in grade 4 when our home economics class made us accomplish our respective samplers based on the different cross-stitches taught by the teacher. But my sisters and I really got into it when we were in college/working already but stopped when it became too much for us to maintain.

I started the piece on the left towards the end of 2008 when I was nearing my pregnancy term and re-discovered it when I was nesting. It took some time before I was able to finish it as I stopped for awhile as I went back to school and was busy taking care of my son. However, I recently discovered my cross-stitch stuff early this year and resolved to finish it. I finally did last May and it was a great achievement. Actually, the point I finished something is an achievement already. I've always struggled with "Ningas Kugon" while growing up so finishing something means a great deal to me.

When I posted this pic in my facebook page, my mom asked for it and I readily gave it to her. She told me that she already has a place of honor for it in her house and will no doubt make a good conversation piece for her visitors. My mom has always been proud of my crafts and I remember her displaying that doilies that I did back when I was in high school.

This somehow encouraged me to try other pieces and to be not content in just stitching relatively small pieces. I then searched for my next project.

I read that DMC partnered with the estate of Amorsolo and painter Baldemor to transform their artworks into cross-stitch patterns. The pattern on the right caught my eye as it's quite colorful. It's a painting done by Baldemor of the famous Pahiyas festival at Quezon province. The colors are just so vivid and it definitely translated itself well in the threads that are to be used. When finished, the whole thing will measure 26.0" x 20.0" probably my biggest piece so far.

I did not hesitate in buying the complete set and though it was rather pricey, I did not mind as I do not relish going back to the craft store buying threads. There's no store near our office or house so hopefully the threads I bought are enough.

Here's a recent picture taken of what I have accomplished so far. The pattern is divided into 9 frames and this is barely half of the frame that I'm doing right now. I estimate that this will take me almost a year to do considering I only have an hour or two everyday just to do this. I returned to teaching and that will take much of time already.

I still have to figure out what will I do with it after I'm done. The lady at the craft shop said I can sell it. In fact, one was sold for P10K! Not bad considering the initial investment on the materials is P2K. But the labor that will be put into it is price enough. I should probably price it to what I earn per hour and compute the total number of hours I spent making it. I have probably invested more than 12 hours based on the recent picture (sigh). I doubt though that somebody will buy it based on that computation. :) 

2 comments:

Dsea said...

Hi! May i ask if you are willing to sell this pattern to me? Hindi ko na po kasi ito mahanap sa craft stores..hoping to stitch this design if you are willing. Stitching is my passion and since di pwede makalabas. Thank youšŸ™‚

Sunshine said...

Hi! Which pattern? Unfortunately, I made the mistake of not making a copy and ang dami na niyang sulat. :( I don't know if it would still be legible.
I do have another Baldemor pattern. let me look for it.