Monday, August 27, 2018

A Mother's Blessing

While we were at church yesterday morning, my 1 year old son fell asleep on my lap using my chest as his pillow. My 9 year old son then snuggled beside me as he felt sleepy. So I put his arm around him and rested his head on my shoulder/chest. In that instant, I felt a certain peace and a sense of fulfillment. Even if it was less than half an hour, those minutes I will surely treasure in my heart for a long, long time.

They say that a mother's arms are strong and limitless. It's capable of lifting heavy loads and juggling multiple tasks. But that simple task of providing comfort and a haven while my sons rest, is something I know can be a finite duty.

However, I do not see it as a duty. Any service or labor done for love cannot be considered as a duty. I consider it as a blessing--for both parties involved. Duty implies a sense of responsibility or something "forced". A blessing is given freely without expecting anything in return.

Though I've only been a mom for 9 years, I think I have an idea what it involves. It definitely means sacrifice (lots of it) and a ton of patience and understanding.

My hands juggle different tasks every day. I'd be a hypocrite if I say that I'm always looking forward to putting on my "mother" cap when I get home from work everyday. There are times that I just want to fall in bed, cover my head and sleep the night away. But it comes part and parcel of this life that I chose.

One day, my sons will leave our nest and have families of their own. Whatever the case, I will always look back to these peaceful moments when all they wanted in their lives was the comfort and peace that only I can provide.

No comments: