Monday, October 09, 2006

Name Woes

Leo and I decided that if we have children, we will only be giving the kid(s), one name. I balked at first as I wanted my child to have two names (just like me and my siblings). But I just realized today how complicated it can be.

My birth certificate carries only my first name while my baptismal and confirmation certificates carries my two names. I read in a wedding preparation forum that one couple had their marriage application rejected by their parish because of the name discrepancy in their documents. My option now is to go to my baptismal and confirmation parish to request for a name change on my documents. It's going to be a long tedious process of going back and forth. I plan to do this during my break this year. Hopefully the churches are open to facilitate my requests. Another option suggested to me was to have my name legally changed which would lead to an annotation on my birth certificate. But am not prepared to go through that process.

Now, I have to have ALL my official documents changed to carry just my first name. It's going to be something that I have to get used to.

I fully support my fiance's notion of only giving one first name to our kids. I do not want my children to go through the same complications and legal hassles. Actually, it would not be an issue if my birth certificate was properly filled out and nobody in my family decided to add that second name on my baptismal certificate. But well, it happened and I have to live with the consequences.

3 comments:

Norrie Blackeby said...

As far as I know you only had one name--Catherine and Sunshine was your nickname. Everyone was so excited when you were born they thought adding names to your baptism cert was a good idea. Not! Yes it is a hassle--I agree with Leo, one name is enough! Good luck.

cess said...

lol! so you'll just be catherine?!!!

hubby had a similar problem. sa birth cert niya he was a "junior". sa baptismal niya he was "the second". later on pati sss, co id, driver's lic, all other impt docs, "the second." so hassle na naman sa pagkuha ng passport bec of the discrepancy in docs.

ang naging problem ko naman, iba ang spelling ng name ng mother ko sa birth cert at sa baptismal ko. my mom had to go to makati to get her marriage contract, then we had to go to the diocese of manila to change the records. major hassle talaga. so when our children were born and later baptized, we scrutinized every last detail of their certs para when they get older, walang problema.

anyway, so accdg to your tita sunshine was supposedly just a nickname. lol! remember pinatanong ni hubby if claudine was named after a "cloud"?

Blair Bitch said...

oh no!!!!! weird naman that the school never noticed it.....well my friend nga got away graduating from college and even taking the board na "male" pala nakalagay sa birth cert nya hahahaha only realized it when she was applying for a passport already...she had to go through a ' sex change' hahahah may i appear pa in court and all....hope you get to sort this one out soonish