Monday, September 20, 2010

My Take on the GulfAir Baby

I'm having mixed feelings about the woman who threw her newborn baby in the trash bin of an airplane. It's an absolute miracle that the baby is alive and no doubt, God has big plans for him to survive such odds and I am looking forward to knowing his future.

I've been reading in different parenting fora how most of the posters basically condemned the woman (one of the posters even mentioned that she cannot call the woman "mother") for abandoning her child in such a way. I initially reacted the way they did. Being a mother myself and seeing how helpless my son was back then, my heart bled when I read the way the baby was just disposed in the trash. I've already stopped thinking how a person can do such a thing because of the news that I've been reading lately, I can already surmise that humans are capable of things that we used to only read about and is now part of our unfortunate reality. Somehow the world has evolved from bad to worse.

But I digress, humans are capable of awful things especially when their mind is stressed. I guess this somehow proves the adage mind over matter.

Amazingly, one of the voices of reason came from Ramon Tulfo. I was so used to his acerbic and biting words that compassion coming from him sounds a bit different. His columns lately were mostly about forgiveness which was a big deviation from his earlier columns--not necessarily a bad thing. His column reminds me of the Bible saying, "he who has no sin cast the first stone." My heart still cannot fathom the barbarous act (reminds me of a video that I saw of a woman throwing puppies in the river) and I don't know if I'll be strong enough not to judge her for what she has done.

I guess I will just have to remember Jesus' example of forgiving those who have done Him wrong and suffering for our sins. Perhaps compassion is the first thing we should give this woman. Though I cannot justify what she has done, I just hope that there will be a happy ending for all of her, and the baby's trials.

No comments: