Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Grief


One of the members our Newlywedsatwork egroup shared the story of how her 19-day old son died. Most of all the messages that were posted henceforth were words of condolences and comfort. I'm sure most of us were thinking what we could have done if it happened to us.

Up to now, I'm still thinking of her and what she has suffered. This was the second child that she lost. The first child (if I'm correct), died in the womb while this one, died 19 days after he was born.

I cried because I sympathized and empathized with her. I could understand the terror and grief. I was also in tenterhooks the first few weeks that Basti was born. I would wake up in the middle of the night just to check on him. I would hold his back to check if he's still breathing. Thank God he was not much of a crier when he was a baby (although he whines a lot now).

It's stories like this that makes me pause and think whether I really want another child. It's every mother's nightmare to see your child die before you and I don't know if I would want to experience that. I will jost hold steadfast in my faith that God has a plan for all of us and we just have to accept whatever it is that lies ahead. We just pray for strength to have that kind of acceptance and surrender our hesitations and doubts to God for He alone is omnipotent.

No comments: