Sunday, March 09, 2014

Sunday Musings

I wanted to write a blogpost but I've been staring at the screen for a long five minutes.  I've been struggling what to write about as I just finished checking the comprehensive exams of my Seniors. Unfortunately, there were some who did not make it but then my portion of their exam is only 30% as the other professor is handling the 70%. I truly hope they would pass her part of the exams. I don't know if I should feel guilty for making the exam but it was relatively easy compared to the other prof's. It was just a reprint of their previous quizzes and finals. All they had to do was study that. And I was very generous to them in a sense that I would reproduce their quizzes so that they have a reviewer.

On a happier note, I added a widget on the right side of my page counting down the days before we leave for our vacation. Our primary reason for visiting is to attend the Ordination of my husband's cousin. However, we will spend a week at the "Happiest Place on Earth" (aka Disneyworld Florida). We will be staying in the park itself which makes me extra giddy. I remember when I was first interviewed for my US Visa when I was 11 years old, the consul asked me why I wanted to go to the US. Like any bright-eyed child, I said I wanted to go to Disneyland. However, I was not able to go when I visited back then and also in 2011. This year, I'm getting my wish. (I did visit Hongkong Disneyland in 2010 but somehow, this is very different).

I can't wait for March to be over so I can get my Saturdays back. Though I love teaching, there are days that I just want to stay home during the weekends. I'm also planning to petition our Dean to change my status from part-time faculty to Consultant. When I consolidated my tax from both employers, I just found out that I have a four digit tax discrepancy. Apparently, there's a big difference between the tax that is being deducted to me by my part-time employer versus my full-time employer. This sucks big time. If my request cannot be granted, I'll be forced to resign as my part-time earnings are not even enough for gas and toll. I'm already looking around my area in case there's a school that is willing to accept me as a part-time faculty.

No comments: