Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Midterms


I was computing my class' midterm grades yesterday and I was dismayed by the performance of some of my students. My father-in-law consoled me by saying that the midterm grade is only a gauge on how the student is performing and does not really count to the final grade. Nevertheless, just the thought of failing someone makes my stomach turn. I was a student once and I know how difficult a failing grade can be to take in.

My friends who are also professors added that I don't have to feel sorry for the student if she is not exerting effort to learn. I was reminded that learning is a two-way street. I teach and my pupils study. One even said that the teacher's anthem is: "I did my best, but I guess your best was not good enough...there's no easy way to break somebody's heart." (Thank you Mr. Cortez)

I just really hope that I can become an effective teacher. I really want my students to learn from me and I hope I can impart the lesson without too much difficulty.

Thanks to http://disorientedtheology.files.wordpress.com for the pic.

No comments: