Sunday, October 17, 2010

When Angelu met Bobby


After having lunch at Don Henrico's with my family, we went back to the house for a siesta. As I did not want to take a nap, I staked out the den (where the Destiny cable is installed) and channel-surfed. I paused when I saw the PBO channel and though I wanted to check the other channels, I put aside the remote and watched the movie with Bobby Andrews and Angelu de Leon as leads. I was trying to guess the movie's title and found out later (online) that it was "Laging Naroon Ka". If I'm not mistaken, it's their 3rd movie together showcasing their loveteam.

The Bobby Andrews-Angelu de Leon love team started in their weekly TV series, T.G.I.S. (Thank God It's Sabado). Their pairing was one of the most popular teams in the mid-90's. In fact the Angelu-Bobby team was included in spot.ph's Top 10 Eternal Pinoy Love Teams joining the perennial partnering of Nora Aunor and Tirso Cruz III, Sharon Cuneta and Gabby Concepcion and Vilma Santos and Edgar Mortiz--among others.

I can't recall how I started to heart Bobby Andrews when I did not even watch T.G.I.S. back then. But I do remember my college press friends giving me a photo of him and that I tried to be nonchalant when he shot some of the "Laging Naroon Ka" (LNK) scenes at La Salle but I was actually raring to stake out the library where the scenes were shot.

I really love their movies although I only watched their movies on cable TV but watching them after more than a decade, I'm happy to say that their acting and chemistry together was really good. LNK was about two college friends, Quinito (Bobby) and Tricia (Angelu) who wanted to take their friendship into another level but Quinito was so unbelievably torpe (I don't know if there's still a guy like him nowadays) that Tricia was getting confused and tired of waiting for him. She began dating another guy much to Quinito's chagrin until he was forced to face his feelings for Trish and declare himself to her.

The movie's supporting cast was also wonderful. Mitch Valdez was hilarious as Tricia's mom and Noel Trinidad was funny as the kooky but very patient dad. Gloria Romero was the conservative lola who raised Quinito (her nails and manicure looked really nice there). Unfortunately, I forgot the name of his lolo who was really good.

Their other movie, "Wala Na Bang Pag-ibig" was also good and I can still remember the plot (childhood friends who grew up studied in the city together etc etc). I wonder if I can still find some of their old movies? It will be great to watch them again. They bring back great memories of my college days.

Unfortunately, their love team had to end when Angelu got pregnant with Joko Diaz' child. I was so devastated. I felt the same when I learned that Albert Martinez eloped with Liezl leaving his love team with Snooky Serna. (Wow, I can't believe I remembered that. I was still a kid then!). It was a grim reminder that love teams are just for show and most of them don't really end up together.

The fantasy was great while it lasted though. I wonder if there will be another pairing like them.

Picture courtesy of Shannen's blog

No comments: