Monday, December 24, 2012

It's Just Another Christmas Eve

For the last 30 or so years, Christmas Eve was always spent at my paternal grandparents' home--wherever it was. We spent it in Paranaque and then in Makati. But when both passed away in 2007, Christmas that year was particularly somber. This time around, we spend it with our Dad and my siblings and whomever among his siblings would want to come. It's just dinner with exchanged presents and little bit of chitchat.

Christmas Day was spent at home relaxing and just sleeping the day away. Before 1991, we would spend Christmas with my maternal grandparents but when my maternal grandfather passed away in 1991, we really just spent it at home. When I met my husband, he would bring me to their family Christmas reunions and that has been the tradition for last 8 years that we've been together.

One of these days, I would want to spend Christmas abroad--away from the maddening crowd. Just with my hubby and my son. We have a standing invitation from my mom in the US to spend Christmas with them and we would probably do that sometime in the near future.

Sadly, I don't really feel the spirit of Christmas even with all the parties I went to. I have somehow forgotten that it's the birthday of someone very important and what that represents. Maybe I have faltered with my faith this past year no thanks to the RH bill brouhaha. But I am a Catholic and a part of me does not want to let go of that. Hopefully, I can get back that connection that I once had with Him. I have returned to listening to Christian songs to hopefully help me find that missing part of me.

I leave you this song which should be the real reason for the holidays. Merry Christmas everyone--whatever it's worth.

No comments: