Sunday, January 25, 2004

Kung Hei Fat Choi

Which does not literally mean Happy New Year but something like Good Luck (I may be wrong). But anyway, it's what non-Chinese people and probably Chinese people say to each other during the Lunar New Year.

I was a bit disconcerted when I received two whole wheels of tikoy (ricecakes) this year. I have never received a full box of tikoy before. I just remember one instance where Allan brought a whole tupperware of cooked tikoy at school and everyone grabbed at it like it was mana from heaven. I do not fully understand the significance of the food (something about luck), but I was still touched nevertheless. What made me feel disconcerted was that it's something that I won't be able to eat. My diet officially started last Wednesday and it was a big radical change for me. I had to watch everything I eat like a hawk and egg-wrapped fried tikoy is definitely one thing off my things-to-eat list.

I suddenly remembered my dinner last night. A couple of friends and I went to Burgoo's at Rockwell for dinner. I was debating whether to get the baby back ribs with shrimp or the seafood ceasar's salad. The salad eventually won and it was very delicious! The leaves were just fine as well as the dressing and the shrimps and calamares on top were scrumptious! Although I don't know whether it's really delicious or it was only metal. :)

I have one big project scheduled which would take the whole year to finish. Actually, my deadline is on December 28 so I hope I can finish that project. I'm taking it one baby step at a time and I mean baby steps. Hopefully the fruits of my labor won't be in vain. I have shown people the first results and they're all very happy about it. Hopefully, I'll be able to finish it.

I can't believe I got sick. It was something I did not expect. It started off as a sore throat last Wednesday. My staff who was supposed to be a temporary replacement for my staff who went on maternity leave, called last Monday and left a message that she's taking the whole week off to get married. That incident left me in distress with no choice but to take on the slack. Unfortunately, the job requires me to be on the phone stretching to one hour with just one bank. That strained my voice and left me with the sore throat. Unluckily, my sore throat developed into a cold and now a cough leaving me with no voice at all. I try not to panic since we have a group report on Monday and Thursday. Oh wait, I think I have a bottle of salabat somewhere which I can drink. I think I'll visit the clinic tomorrow and have this checked.

No comments: