Sunday, May 20, 2007

Lola...this is for you

I got this picture from Gage's Multiply Album. It's a quirky picture of my lola and I love it. It captures one of her rare moments of happiness.

My lola is a simple woman. Simple in a sense that she's not grandiose. She's happy just being with her plants and with her family.

Lola does not complain. The only time I heard her complain was when one of her loved ones was not doing well. She never complains about herself or her ailments. If ever she does, she will just state it briefly and move on.

She loves her children and grandchildren very much. She sacrificed whatever she can as long as those she loves will be alright.

My most poignant memory of her was when she rushed me to the hospital when I had an acute asthma attack (this was when I was in high school). She stayed with me when the doctors decided to put me on dextrose. I cried when they pierced my wrist with the needle and it was her name that I tearfully uttered. She comforted me the best she could.

My lola is well-known for her love of flowers and plants. When I took her to Tagaytay and we visited Leo's parents, she loved their garden.

During the wake, we got to hear different stories about her from different people in San Antonio Village. From the barangay captain, from a neighbor, from her friends at church and senior citizens. They all say the same thing--her generosity, her patience, her loving nature. Two novenas were held for her by the Senior Citizen Association of San Antonio Village and from the Legion of Mary where is an auxiliary member. She is very much loved.

(On a side note, I found out why Binay will never lose in Makati City. He has minions going around the different funeral chapels in Makati City to find out if any Makati citizen has passed away. This information is passed on to him and he actually visits the wake! One of his minions passed by Tuesday morning and we were told that the mayor will visit that night and true enough he did! However, my lolo was not around when he arrived. One of my aunts arrived that time from Australia and went straight to the coffin sobbing her heart out. Binay excused himself and said he'll wait for our lolo outside the chapel--and he did! He sent flowers, even his son Jun-jun and his vice mayor Nestor Mercado. Now THAT is a consummate politician.)

There's a part of me that wishes I never saw her during her last moments. I do not like that the last pictures of her in my mind is her lying helpless and limp in the ER, or stiff with rigor mortis at the morgue, or all embalmed and made up in her white coffin. I do not want to remember her that way. I want to remember her like the picture above. A nurturer and someone who is abounding with patience and love. But those last moments enabled me to say goodbye; enabled me to accept the inevitable and provide comfort to those who needed it. Even in her death, she was able to provide comfort and strength.

My only regret is that she will not be around for my wedding. She would've loved our flowers.

We love you so much, lola. We will miss you. I will really miss you.

Paciencia Mercado David
(May 30, 1924-May 14, 2007)



1 comment:

jb virata said...

Sunshine, Lola is now in a better place. Hope everything went well with her and the family. One word about Binay. The Mayor is a very good friend of your Lolo. I don't think he was trying to be a politician, but rather a good friend. He even at one point asked your lolo to be his campaign manager way back. . . well probably when you were in grade school. Your lolo refused because he felt that it would not be very kosher given your lolo drove a Mercedes back then.