Tuesday, January 03, 2017

2016 Recap

I usually make year-end recaps but I’ve stopped for the past few years. Considering how eventful my 2016 was, it deserves to be noted down so I will not forget.

HONGKONG TRIP / BASTI’S 7TH



As our 7th birthday gift for Basti, we celebrated it in Hongkong. Unfortunately, he did not love Disneyland but enjoyed the trains and the hotel more—so that was what we did.

ALDUB FANGIRLING / ADNFEST 2016

Me with Alden and Maine at ADNFest 2016 Photo by @antonyostark

On January, Vic Sotto married his fiancée, Pauleen Luna at St. James. And for the first time in my life, I gatecrashed a wedding so that I can see my favorite LT, Maine Mendoza and Alden Richards. I had the opportunity to be near them and I was just stunned.

On February, I again had the chance to see them when I was invited, for the first time, to go to Broadway to watch Eat Bulaga! live. It was such an experience that I will always treasure as it was during their 7th monthsary and it was one of the rare times that they’re both in the studio.

On June, my friends and I managed to raise funds for the Isang Lapis, Isang Papel project of Eat Bulaga! and we again when to Broadway to deliver the supplies that we raised—worth P200,000! Too bad Maine and Alden were not there.

 October 16, 2016 was the 15th monthsary of ALDUB. A group of friends and I put together AldubNation Fest which gathered fans from all over the Philippines and the world. We did not announce that Alden and Maine will be coming so imagine the chaos it brought when they arrived. It was the pinnacle of my fangirling and I had the opportunity to sit and chat with my two favorite celebrities ever. What made it more notable was that the fans also appreciated the effort and it was also the highlight of their year. 

@ the Kalyeserye wedding a pic with the"newlyweds"
A week after that, on October 22, we had the privilege of attending the Kalyeserye wedding of Alden and Maine held at Christ the King at E. Rodriguez (near Broadway). I was so emotional that time as it felt so real when we knew it was just meant for the show. I guess what made us feel that was that the vows that were said by both transcended the show and meant for their non-showbiz selves. Nevertheless, it was an event that I will forever treasure.




LES MISERABLES

an emo shot

I’ve always wanted to see Les Miserables ever since I heard the soundtrack 25 years ago. Whenever I’m in the US, I never can seem catch it in Broadway. That’s why when they had a show here, I grabbed the chance and booked front row tickets. I was ecstatic and cried when I heard the opening strains as well as “One More Day”.


JAPAN TRIP


For the first time, I visited Japan for a work-related trip. Good thing I had a day and half to go around and was able to see a bit of Tokyo. What made it exciting was that I went around by myself. I was able to navigate the complicated train system but I got lost finding the right exit. I also did 30,000 steps which is equivalent to 22Km in a day!












MIGRATION OF MY FAMILY 

2016 was also a year wherein the rest of my family decided to settle elsewhere. Ten years ago, it was my mom and twin sister who settled in the US. This time around, it’s my dad and brother. My father purchased land in Cagayan de Oro where he built a house near the beach—his retirement home. My brother’s Canada immigrant application was approved and he left last November. For the first time in my life, I spent Christmas Eve without my family. Technically, I still have a sister here but she had plans during Christmas Eve. It felt different and I can’t wait for the time that I can spend Christmas with them once again.

PREGNANCY

My husband and I have been trying for another baby since 2011. In our family plan, we wanted to have a second baby by year 2012, wherein Basti would be three by then. But it was futile so when I reached 40 last December 2015, we just accepted that Basti will be an only child. But lo and behold, my Japan trip (and the 30,000 steps) managed to reset my reproductive cycle. Probably the wondrous thing there was that I had no idea that I was pregnant. I felt nauseous but only during in the car which I attributed to me using my mobile phone. My allergies resurfaced but I just ignored them. It was my officemate that suggested I take a pregnancy test when I shared with her that I felt really sleep when going to the office one day. So I did. When I went home that night, I took a test and shouted in the bathroom for my husband. Both of us were surprised but my husband was quite happy about it. He couldn’t let go of my hand the whole night and kept on hugging me.

I don't know how to top this year or if it could get any better. That's why my wish for this year is to make it if not equally stellar, but at least kind.

Happy New Year everyone! May the odds be ever in your favor and may the force be always with you!

No comments: