Saturday, October 11, 2003

WORTHINESS

I sometimes wonder if everything I do is worth it.

Like today, for example. I was at work from 830 in the morning up to midnight. Funny thing was, I was not forced to be there, but it was my will to stay at work that late.

My boss and I had a nice chat this afternoon regarding my job description and my future with the bank. I had the chance to really think about my career plan and where I’m headed. She gave me a lot of work to do but I consider it a blessing. Most of the stuff she gave me I know I will enjoy doing and she assigned a specific task to me which utilized by analyzing skills and basically made me enjoy my job more. Yes, the added work could be a burden, but it’s also a chance for me to stretch myself and to learn more about my job.

Everything really falls on the proper attitude and the appropriate mindset. We have two kinds of people at work: the performers and the non-performers. I observed that what differentiates the two is attitude. Everyone has his/her own perception of things, but if you managed to come up with the right insight on an event, everything is easier.

An event could be a negative or positive one. Again, it differs on the person on how he/she perceives that event. My example of me being given added tasks could be viewed negatively thereby making me bitter and would result to non-performance. However, if I considered it in a positive light and seeing the brighter side of the situation, everything just falls into place.

I’ll be going to Tagaytay tomorrow for my second retreat of the year (the third and last one will be at Baguio next week). Hopefully, I’ll be able to reflect more on my chosen path and my future plans.

No comments: