Monday, June 21, 2004

Well Met

I thought I was properly introduced to my SO's family. I totally forgot about extended families.

Being Father's Day, he told me that we're having dinner with his parents and grandparents tonight. I put on some decent clothes and lounged about at Robinson's Place looking for gifts for his father and grandfather. A few hours before the meeting time, he surprised me with the announcement that his aunts, uncles and cousins will be there. Imagine my panic! The blouse that I had on was damp with sweat from all the walking around the mall. I immediately shopped for a new and more respectable looking blouse and found one in my size at Tubby's (I love this shop! And I love the blouse too. Bought another one albeit a different colour).

The SO kept insisting that I looked fine as I was (said he who was in walking shorts, branded shirt and diesel shoes). Frantic to make a good impression (and his mom was there! I don't know why I feel that I ALWAYS have to be and look my best whenever his mom is present) to his relatives, I dragged him from shop to shop looking for that fresh new blouse. He was amused when I insisted to the saleslady that I will be wearing the shirt that I just chose.

I wanted to run when we arrived at the restaurant somewhere along Roxas Blvd and I saw his parents seated with other folks. I just held onto my SO's hand, put on my warmest smile and walked steadily towards the group.

Dinner was ok. My seatmate was one of SO's aunts and she was very warm and candid. We stayed for a couple of hours until everyone went home.

All in all, it was ok. I felt a bit intimidated when all of SO's relatives were so conscious of their weight. His aunt even gave me advice on how to lose weight. Maybe I'll try what she's suggesting.

I'm actually looking forward to meeting everyone again. Although next time, I hope to be more prepared.

No comments: