Saturday, July 21, 2007

Laparoscopy -- A Wonderful Thing

I came home Tuesday night with a nagging pain at my lower right side. I tried ignoring it and even ruling out appendicitis as other than the pain, I was feeling ok. No fever, no vomiting. I retired early and slept regardless of the pain.

However, I woke up around 130am Wednesday with the pain continuing to be persistent. I could not ignore it anymore so I asked my aunt to bring me to Asian Hospital. Though Medical Center Paranaque is relatively nearer, I did not want to go there (after all, it was where my Lola died).

Upon getting to Asian, a nurse took my vitals and my aunt called Leo. The ER people took a blood sample for a complete blood count. The ER doctor on duty readily called it as appendicitis but they need to do some tests to make sure. Leo arrived around 3 am and stayed with me. When the results came back an hour later, my white blood count was
quite high which is an indication that there is an infection. The ER doctor had me admitted.

It was a battery of tests from then on. I was also endorsed to my OB-Gyne to rule out any gynelogical problems. From the ER, I was taken to the "Genesis" area where I stayed for observation. My attending physician, Dr. Carlos Ejercito, saw me there as well. He explained to me his suspicions and ordered more tests. I was taken to the Ultrasound station afterwards to check my pelvic area. The ultrasound doctor saw my still-polycystic ovaries and possibly a swollen fallopian tube. They took me back to the Genesis area afterwards to await for the next set of tests.

After an hour of waiting, I was told that my room is available but instead of taking me there, they took me back to the Emergency Room. My sister, dad and brother arrived. It was already 9 am and according to the doctors, I should eat something before 10 am. My family fed me a small croissant and orange juice. By 10am, I was taken to my OB Gyne's clinic where I was further examined and probed. She said she'll just give me antibiotics for the swelling but it's still up to my attending physician whether I can be discharged.

I was then taken to my semi-private room on the 8th floor. My health plan entitles me for a regular private room but the hospital was fully booked. My sister and I settled down and I tried to catch up on my sleep. A few minutes later, the nurse woke me up telling me that I can't stay in the room as I'm sharing a room with a male patient which apparently is against their house rules. So they transferred me to another room at another floor.

When I got there, there was already a female patient occupying one of the beds and the vacant bed is beside the window. No wonder she did not stay there. The room's thermostat was broken and it was so bloody cold in the bloody room.

My attending physician saw me again and saw the results of the ultrasound (Pelvic Inflammation). He said that he does not agree with the verdict as the pain that I was feeling was relatively high to be considered Pelvic Inflammation. He ordered a CT-Scan as a final check. If the scan results are ok, he'll release me the next day.

At 730 pm, I was taken to the ultrasound room. I never realized that it can be so uncomfortable and the nurse on duty was so cold. It was over in less than 15 minutes and was I soooo GLAD. After that, I was taken back to my room.

When I got back, Leo's mom was waiting for me. She brought food as well as dinner for my sister (I haven't eaten since 10 am that morning--doctor's orders).

At 9 pm, the nurse came in with a weighing scale. He said that they need to take my weight for my operation. We just stared at him in shock. Operation? What Operation? Apparently, when my CT-Scan results came in, the nurse called my doctor and told him what they saw. Apparently, my appendix, which should be the size of an IV tube has swelled to the size of my little finger.

My aunt, dad and brother arrived a few minutes later and we told them the news. My mom also called sounding panicky.

By then, I was accepting my fate already and began to mentally prepare myself. Dr. Ejercito came in after 930 and gave me options. I could go with Option A wherein I will be sliced open and my appendix will be cut out. For that I would have to go through spinal anasthesia and recovery time would be a month. Option B is called laparoscopy wherein he will just make 3 incisions (1 for the camera, 1 for the cutting tool, and another where my appendix will be pulled out). I don't have to be cut open and recovery will be fast. General anaesthesia will only be used. Of course, Option B sounds better so I chose that (although it is more expensive).

I was picked up at 10pm where I was taken to radiology for chest x-rays (they said they need it for the operation--I have no idea for wwhat purpose), and then straight to the operating prep room. I dozed off for awhile and then I woke up when they wheeled me in the operating room. The doctor was there and the nurses where moving around preparing what it is they need. The doctor remarked that I looked pale. I just it was just so cold. It was my first operation and it would only be logical that I be scared. My curiousity apparently, was more powerful than my fright. Next thing I knew, I was asleep.

I woke up in the recovery room when they tried injecting me with something on my skin. I groggily asked what it was for and they said they were skin testing one of my meds. I dozed off again and I could feel something squeezing my right arm. Apparently, they have this apparatus attached on my arm which automatically takes my BP every 5 to 10 minutes. I also have something on my finger which triggers something when I move.

Probably a few minutes after, they wheeled me back to my room where I slept off the rest of the anaesthesia. I "woke" up around 7 am the next morning. I gladly ate my first meal after almost 24 hours of no food and drinks. I also had my first bath in 36 hours. I felt so refreshed! My stomach was pinching and I could not bring myself to look at the bandages.

My brother who stayed with me during the night said that the doctor called him after the operation. They showed him my appendix and how hard it was. Apparently, it was ready to burst when he operated on me. Thank God they got it on time.

By lunch, I learned that my health insurance will not fully cover the bill as I chose an operation which has a cap.

I lost my appetite when I learned that my running bill is already at 100Kphp!!! And that was excluding my doctor's professional fees. I called my boss and our HR and after a few hours in tenterhooks, I was told to just charge it and the office will just reimburse me for it. I made another phone call to temporarily increase my company card credit limit and I paid the balance (don't ask now much).

I was discharged, Thursday night, 36 hours after I was admitted. Laparoscopy is indeed a good choice. I can walk now although I still find difficulty in sitting up.  I'm going back to my doctor on Monday so he can take out the bandages. I'll know also when I can go back to work--not that I'm looking forward to it but I need to rest and recuperate.

I'm just glad that it's over and done with. All the things that they did to me were so uncomfortable. At least the hospital's amenities were all modern and high-tech. The bed was comfortable and the room was spacious--for a semi-private room. They need to improve on their service though. I was transferred so many times and apparently, the meds which I was supposed to take were not given to me. The doctors though were all top-notch. I was told that my doctor has a good reputation. He's also very nice and looking at his card, he also has clinics in Makati Med and Medical City. He must be that good to have clinics in Type A hospitals. I'm happy that I only have 1 appendix that needs to be removed and I should not worry about it anymore.

The next time that I go back to the hospital is when I'm giving birth. No more.

12 comments:

Joelle Horca said...

*hugs* Asian does have a problem. Since it's not a teaching hospital, there's a shortage of nurses.

Glad to know that you're alright.

Hmm... I would have thought that you would have been covered for the full amount. =) Btw,have you seen the revised medical plan? *grumble grumble*

Sunshine Sangalang said...

dapat nga raw sabi ni Mike M. i do hope they reimburse me immediately. argh!

JC Sobejana said...

you dont need your appendeix anyway. glad you're ok.... see you soon sistah

Joelle Horca said...

I remember now. I've always charged then requested for full reimbursement. The problem that you may have now is if your doctors are outside of the Philam network. That's a bit of a grey area now.

Sunshine Sangalang said...

they're all philam accredited doctors. kaya nga sabi ng HR, we can dispute. it was the doctor that recommended the lap anyway.

i've also seen the revised medical plan. prescriptions!

Joelle Horca said...

Hehehe... yup.. even for vitamins.

Even if they weren't accredited doctors, you can make a case if the philam can't provide a substitute -- like a pedia derma. My problem now is trying to find a good ob who's in the network.

Chesca Rueda said...

i hope you're okay, ate sunshine... it's weird. my mom was admitted there last tuesday too... and she stayed at room 809... well, anyway, i really hope you're recovering well... you're in our prayers... :)

Vivian Abalos said...

Glad you're ok. Pero baka hindi ka na magkasya sa wedding gown mo! Baka pumayat ka ng sobra sa kulang na pagkain!

Sunshine Sangalang said...

tita vivian - hindi nga eh. regular diet ako eh! :) although pansin ko hindi ako malakas kumain tulad ng dati. hehe. natuwa nga yung couturier ko sa news. baka raw pumayat pa ako dahil biglang sumikip ang gown ko. hahaha!

cheska - hope you're mom's ok. i was also on the 8th floor (forgot what room) for a few minutes before i was transferred to the 5th.

joelle - i recommend dr. regina manahan. she has a clinic at asian, makati med and medical city. the doctor who saw me, dr. carlos ejercito, is also quite good. he should be with the PF he charged me. hehe.

Nonie David Carluen said...

i am glad you are alright. times like this are when you are glad you are working for a company with medical benefits. having said that - you probably will not need medical attention anyway if you are not working for them. i should know - been there - done that.

jennie smith said...

Yes, thank God, this is over. Medical coverage thru company benefit program is really the way to go especially since medical care is getting to be more expensive each time. While you were in pain, I asked Tita Prime about what you were feeling and she suspected it was appendicitis. Really, one of the things we should get rid of in our body. Take care, anak!

Norrie Blackeby said...

I had my appendix removed when I was 14 and it was a real pain. However,at least they caught it just in time! Crikey, there have been a lot of drama leading up to your wedding! I bet you'll be so happy when this is all done and over with.Take care of yourself and thank goodness you work in a bank but as your ninang says...maybe you won't need a lot of medical attention when you're out of the rat race...but not just yet. See you next month.