Sunday, September 09, 2007

Goodbye, Lolo

My lolo Ruben passed away peacefully at 2 o'clock this afternoon. He died in his home surrounded by family who loves him.

Lolo Ruben was diagnosed with liver cancer last May. It was a big surprise to all of us as he's known for his healthy living. My grandmother, his wife Pacing, died 4 days after his diagnosis. It was Mother's Day.

I guess it's only apt that Lolo died on Grandparents Day. He was a loving lolo to all of his grandchildren. We will really miss him.

Two weeks before my wedding, he was rushed to the hospital as he had difficulty breathing. It turns out that his cancer has metasticized to his chest cavity area and the mass was pushing against his trachea thus the difficulty in breathing and eating. He was hooked into an IV and it is only there that he gets his nutrients.

I used to have this fear that he would pass away days before the wedding or on the wedding day itself. But when I visited him a week before the wedding and saw him lying in bed, I just let everything go. I silently told him that if he needs to go, I won't mind. If he wants to be with my lola, then nothing should stop him. I'll be fine. We'll be fine.

But he hung on. When my dad came home from the wedding, he whispered to my lolo that the wedding was done. My dad said that my lolo smiled and after a few minutes, his arm began to swell. Apparently, the vein where his IV was connected collapsed. They couldn't find any vein anymore on his arm so they connected the IV to his foot. When we got back from our honeymoon on Wednesday, we were told that the IV was removed as the veins on his feet also collapsed. We knew then that it is only a matter of days before the inevitable.

My best memory of my lolo was when I was a little girl, he knew of my budding love for books and magazines. He would call me from our house next door and he would tuck me beside him and we would read his magazine together. I remembered we would look at the Larry Alcala comics and we would make it a contest on who would find Larry's head first.

In compliance to my lolo's wishes, we will hold no wake for him. His remains will be cremated tomorrow and we will have a memorial service for him right afterwards in his home in Makati. Still a simple man up to the end.

My lolo was a great man. He will be very much missed.

7 comments:

JC Sobejana said...

May you rest in peace Lolo. We love you so much.

Chesca Rueda said...

Lolo is happy in heaven with lola now... I'm glad he's finally happy and free of the pain...Now he can breathe again... We'll miss you soooo much, lolo... Condolences to you and your family, Ate Sunshine...

mommy cess said...

condolence to your and your family. big hug.

A. S. Chua said...

condolence sunshi... at least he's not suffering and in pain anymore

Rocky "Augustus Caesar" Palileo said...

Condolence Ate Sunshine... he's in a better place now :)

Nonie David Carluen said...

One day I will show you the letters your lolo wrote me about how proud he has always been of you. He will really be missed very much.

BJ David said...

ill miss u lolo