Friday, April 25, 2008
I've been on leave from the office since Wednesday. I went to the Land Transportation Office and applied for another (my third!) student license. This time, it was clear to me that the license validity is only for one year and I can switch to a non-professional license in a month's time. Desperation made me do it as we won't have a driver for a month and my in-laws will be out of the country. I won't have someone who will drive me to the shuttle station every morning and fetch me from the station in the evening. Well, there's my husband but I don't have the heart to wake him up everyday at 7AM (he gets home past midnight) so he can drive for me.
I enrolled at A1 Driving School for a refresher course. I drove yesterday for 5 hours straight and my left knee and thigh are still hurting. I chose a manual car as the practical exam for the non-pro license requires us to drive a manual car (an owner-type jeep). I drove through EDSA AT RUSH HOUR!!! The gentle slopes that defined EDSA felt like mountains to me as my "hanging" was sorely tested. My parking still needs practice and my lane changing. According to my instructor, I have the tendency to jerk the wheel whenever I get nervous (e.g. when a bus or a truck drives alongside). So I need to calm my nerves and ensure I don't drink any coffee before I drive.
This morning, my husband and I had our interview at the US Embassy for our Non-Immigrant VISA and I'm happy to say that we were approved! After 21 years, I'm going back to the US of A! I can't wait to see my mom, my sister and her new baby on September (and my brother-in-law and other relatives, of course)!
The interview was relatively painless. She just asked us some questions--who are your immediate relatives in the US (me - my mom and my sister; leo - 3 sisters of my mom), what other countries have you been to other than the US (me - singapore and thailand; leo - singapore, thailand, and europe), how long have you been working for your company (me - 8 years; leo - 1 yr), how much do you earn (ay secret na yan. hehe) etc etc. I took out the documents that I painstakingly prepared and photocopied in case she asks for them but she did not ask for anything! The consul said that we're a good risk and gave us the yellow paper (it felt like American Idol. It's the Golden Ticket!) which indicated that our application/renewal was approved.
We were only inside the embassy for less than 2 hours. However, it tooks us half the day (we were there at 7AM and left 11AM) as the travel agency inadvertently gave us an expired application form (my husband's) wherein the payment was made January 2007! When the pre-screener discovered this, it was only 730AM. :( So we had to go out, wait for the bank to open and for our agency to pay for the application fee again. By the time we got back inside the embassy, it was already 930AM and we were at the tail-end of the crowd.
While waiting for our turn for the consul interview, we were listening to the other interviews (we couldn't help it. There were speakers outside each window so you could hear whatever the consul was saying). There was an interview where the appplicant was too honest:
CONSUL: Why are you going to the US
GIRL: To visit my boyfriend
CONSUL (with humor in her voice): To visit your boyfriend?
CONSUL: Is he an American Citizen?
CONSUL: Has he been here? How long?
GIRL: Yes ((can't hear how long. I think it was a month)
CONSUL: Who's going to pay for your ticket?
CONSUL: How much do you earn?
GIRL: ((can't hear but it was either minimum or she doesn't have a job))
CONSUL: What other income documents do you have?
GIRL: ((can't hear what she exactly said but she can't seem to present anything))
CONSUL: You should've known about it when you paid for your visa application. How long will you stay there?
GIRL: A month or so.
CONSUL: How will I know you're coming back?
GIRL: I'll be coming back.
CONSUL: Yes, but how will I believe that you will be coming back? You might stay there for 6 months or so and you won't be coming back.
Anyway, I don't know how that interview ended as it was our turn already in another window. I have a feeling though that she was declined.
There was an old couple though who were granted visas and the old man was crying. The consul was consoling him. She was saying, "It's ok, Sir. It's ok." Maybe he will finally see his children who he hasn't seen in years.
Thursday, April 24, 2008
Her rendition of "I Will Always Love You" got the judges' nods. Though I've heard other people sing it better (Charice also sang this at the other British talk show), I'm glad that she managed to impress the judges with her talent.
I hope she'll go far in the competition.
Wednesday, April 23, 2008
Saturday, April 19, 2008
Gigi (the buyer), wanted to buy my Judith McNaught, Jude Deveraux and Linda Lael Miller collection. I initially said that I'll think about it. Actually, I was partially sold already. However, when I was trying to pack them this morning, I can't seem to part with them--even if I haven't read most of them for quite some time. I began collecting them when I was in High School and it's like parting with my childhood friends. I can't just give them away like that (even if I'm being paid for them).
Anyway, she was quite understanding and asked me to give her a call once I decide to sell them.
Wednesday, April 16, 2008
I LOVE DAVID COOK!!! He performed very well in today's episode of American Idol. He surprisingly gave a very good rendition of Mariah Carey's Always Be My Baby. It's actually something that you would want to hear over and over again. It sounded so awesome and it's something that can be used in a soundtrack. I could just hear it playing in the background in a Smallville scene. Hehe.
Monday, April 07, 2008
I know I got their calling card but I can't find it anymore. I want more of their products and I especially love their cologne! It's a cross between Angel's Breath and Baby Bench Bubble gum without being overpowering.
If somebody can give me their contact information or store, I'll be very much grateful.
Friday, April 04, 2008
Today, I managed to catch 3 episodes of Ellen in 3 different channels. She's really hilarious. She's more entertaining to watch than Oprah (well, I don't watch Oprah so I don't know if I should compare). But she certainly has more charisma than other talk show hosts.
Not to mention the games that she has in the show and the gifts that she gives to her audience. My gosh.
The recent episode I saw was when she held her show at Orlando. Episodes must be a couple of weeks late as Chikezee was voted out of American Idol and he was her guest. Kelly Pickler was there too singing about her red high heels.
I hope that I'll be able to watch a show of hers live when we go to the US later this year. She really is funny.
Thursday, April 03, 2008
I can go for weeks working for 12 hours. Skipping dinners as I would get home past dinnertime and I'm so exhausted that I'll just drop in bed and wake up really hungry but would lose my appetite when I would see the food.
After all that meal skipping, I should lose weight but I compensate for the skipped meals by eating unhealthy carbs.
As mentioned yesterday, I was sick last Monday and when I went to the doctor today, I was diagnosed with Upper Respiratory Tract Infection prescribed with 1-3 days of rest with amoxicillin and a lozenge for my sore throat. Lots of fruits and juices, so there.
I should take it easy if I am to meet the challenges that are thrown to me at work. I have to be healthy if I am going to lead my team to meet our targets this year. Moreover, my boss from group will be arriving next week so I have to be up and about!
On a different note, Ramielle Malubay got voted out of American Idol today. Can't say I'm heartbroken over it. Her performance these past few weeks leaves much to be desired and the other contestants really outshone her (well not all). I especially love David Cook. He reminds me of Daughtry but he has his own style. Others like David Archuleta but he sounds so boyband. Let's just see.
Wednesday, April 02, 2008
1. What’s the best love story you’ve ever watched? Sa kababawan ko, Love Actually. IT's such a feel good movie.
2. Do you think you’re ok? Yes
3. Song playing at the moment? Watching Wolfgang Puck.
4. One song to describe current relationship? Ikaw Lamang
5. Accessories you usually wear? My engagement and wedding rings
6. Fave color(s)? Blue
7. Ever donated blood? Yes. Once.
8. Last place you went to? Office and BPI branch at ATC
9. Last person(s) u went out with? had lunch with my college friends yesterday
10. The most exciting sport? Is eating a sport? hehe. My husband loves basketball so I guess, yun.
11. Ever had a permanent tattoo? No. Henna is the most extreme that I'll get.
12. Movie you want to watch? I don't know. What's showing ba? Siguro yung cartoon.
13. Any piercings? one on each ear lobe
14. The most romantic gift ever received? Cellphone
15. Act on stage before? I think I have. Pero matagal na. I think I was in College. Haha.
16. Struck by lightning before?? No. Knock on wood.
17. Danced with your loved one before? Our wedding last year
18. Ever wished you could turn back time? Of course. But there's no use in looking at the past unless you intend to learn from it.
19. One song that’s meaningful to you? Now That I Have You
20. Last person who called you? My husband
22. Ever thought of robbing a bank? In the past when I needed money. Haha.
23. Do you still have feelings for your ex? No
25. What is your all-time favorite romance movie? Love Actually
26. How many times have you honestly been in love? Once :) with my husband.
27. Do you believe that everyone has a soulmate? I do
28. What's your current problem? Office problems
29. Have you ever had your heart broken? Yes
30. Experienced Long Distance? ???
2. What were you doing at 0800? Was on my way to work
4. What happened to you in 2006? Ang hirap naman ng tanong na 'to. Marami. I moved to another department and Leo and I decided to get married.
6. How many beverages did you have today? Just water and half a glass of Coke Zero.
7. What color is your hairbrush? Blue and Gray
8. What was the last thing you paid for? Shuttle fare this morning-- P55
9. Where were you last night? Left the office at 8PM but got home at 10PM as I took the jeep going inside the village. It takes another hour from the usual commute from the office to ATC--half an hour waiting for the jeep to fill and another half an hour to get to my area as the jeep is SOOO slow and it took the long way round.
11. Where do you keep your change? Gold colored coin purse that I bought at Thailand
13. What’s the best ice-cream flavor? Dulce de Leche
15. Do you want to cut your hair? Yes, I want to keep my hair short! It makes me look younger. Strangers mistake me as college student, especially if I'm wearing jeans and sneakers. Hah!
17. Do you talk a lot? Depends.
19. Do you know anyone named Steven? None
21. Are you a jealous person? I don't think so.
23. Name a friend whose name starts with the letter ‘K’. Kay
25. What does the last text message you received say? To ask the maids to help Leo out of the car as he has a lot of stuff to bring inside.
26. Do you chew on your straw? No
27. Do you have curly hair? No
28. Where’s the next place you’re going to? Dinner downstairs and rest some more
30. What was the last thing you ate? Rigatoni Alfredo and Funghi Pizza from Cibo. Leo bought home the pasta for me which I ate for lunch.
31. Will you get married in the future? I'm married already.
33. Is there anyone you like right now? I'm sick. The only person I like right now is my husband. Pero kung crush and like, si Marc Nelson and Rovilson Fernandez! Muwah muwah!
35. Are you currently depressed? No.
37. Why did you answer and post this? Si Cessna kasi.
38. who else would you requesto answer these? Kung sinong may gusto.
I thought I could rest on Tuesday, but my one down was still sick. Ok, another day of drudgery. Good thing he returned to work today so I was able to turnover some urgent items and I had the driver pick me up before lunch so I can go home and rest.
Leo bought me some lunch from Cibo and I spent the rest of the afternoon on bed resting. My mother-in-law told me to get some rest as I'm overworking already. I do agree with her though. 2010 is such a long way off (sigh).