Sunday, November 16, 2003

Best Christmas Present!

I am writing this blog entry from this spanking new laptop that my mom gave me for christmas/birthday (we supposedly shared the cost). It's what I've always wanted. A piece of hardware which I can use for my own without sharing. I think I'm making progress here. First of all, a room of my own, and now my very own laptop. It was the first thing that my mom took out and gave me. While my siblings were fighting over everything that my mom took out from her balikbayan boxes and suitcases, I was content to sit in my very own corner tinkering with this wonderful piece of machinery.

This machine is not EXACTLY new. It's secondhand. Good condition for a second hand thing. I think my mom used it for several months before buying one for herself. She left it in the US and gave me this instead. I'm not complaining. I'm still happy.

I don't know what makes me happier, the point that my mom gave me a laptop, or the point that I don't have to share it. Throughout my years of growing up, I ALWAYS have to share something with siblings. Don't get me wrong. I don't mind sharing. It's one of the values that were taught to us while we were growing up. Heck, it was drilled into us by our parents and our teachers. However, there are times when you need a piece of yourself. Something which you don't have to share.

I've always been a techie. That's why I almost took up computer science as a college course (well, I did for five terms and then I shifted out). I've often marveled how wonderful technology is and how advanced these new machines are. I've always wanted one but I felt that it is way beyond my reach. My mom, sort of consuelo and the carrot which she dangled in front of a stick, used the gift of a laptop for me to take up my masterals in business. As it turns out, she has so long wanted for me to take up my masterals but have long given up on telling me what to do. It just took so long for me to decide and figure things out for myself. Yeah, that's what I am--a late bloomer.

I guess you could call it the best Christmas/birthday gift I received. I don't want to sourgrape or to downplay these wonderful blessings that I have received, but the thing that my heart has so long wanted to have these past few years, I can't seem to have. Instead, God has blessed me with all these material things. I guess this is just a lesson that I can't have them all.

BIRTHDAY/CHRISTMAS WISH LIST


One thing on having your birthday near Christmas, people tend to give you one gift for both occasions. To spare my friends and relatives the agony of thinking what to get me for both, herewith is my wish list:

1. Two Towers 4cd dvd.
2. Lord of the Rings tshirt
3. Pug (cream coloured)
4. Bookshelf/books
5. A date!
6. Music cds and dvd (CSI season 2)
7. Something which I can put in my room
8. Trip to Cebu/Palawan
9. Make-up (anti-allergy stuff)
10. Gift certificate for any spa/body massage place

No comments: