Sunday, November 30, 2003

Sunrise, Sunset

It's been awhile ever since I've seen a sunrise. I can still remember the last time I saw one. It was the summer of 1995 at Sariyaya, Quezon. I guess it's just apt that I'd see my next sunrise at the same town albeit a different resort.

It took us 4 hours just to get to this place. It was dusk when we arrived yesterday. The last time I was in this town, we were at a beach. This time, we are somewhat on higher ground. I could barely read the sign when we arrived but it's something like a members-only resort where they have these wonderful amenities for members. Something like Tagaytay Highlands but more of the low-end side.

We came here to celebrate my Dad's 56th birthday. I haven't really counted how many we are in the party but I roughly estimate around 30 people (including the kids). That's 30 people crammed in 2 Adventures, 1 CRV and 1 Honda Civic. Due to the limited number of rooms, we pitched tents and 8 of us young'uns slept comfortably in this humongous tent that we set up amidst headlights of cars.

I woke up at 4 am and I couldn't go back to sleep anymore. Probably because I slept at 1030 pm and that's relatively early for me considering that my bedtime is at midnight or maybe I'm not used to the strong winds buffeting our tent. It's a good thing that my mom insisted that I bring my laptop (she was supposed to print the calendar that she's going to bring to the US when she leaves this Thursday). I pulled it out from its case and ensconced myself on the patio where I'm typing this and my notes on my final paper for my Statistics class.

Going back to the sunrise, it's really breathtaking to watch. From the darkness, the sky tinged pink then this wonderful shade of blue. Think corel or some paint program where there's different shades and hues. The sky is one big paint palette. One side in different shades of pink and one side in different shades of blue. There's birds chirping in the background (although I could do away with the sound of the generator and aircon). I could see the man-made lagoon from where I'm at. The sky reflecting on this clear surface. I can't wait to go boating in its calm waters later. Or probably take a dip in the pool. Hopefully it'll be much warmer later on.

According to computer time, it's already 543 am. For the first time since we arrived, I could see where we're at. The light is similar to that when we arrived last night, barely light and barely dark. The eastern sky which is at my left is now turning reddish pink. The mountains at my right look dark and foreboding. I'm not quite sure of my geography but I would guess that it's Mount Banahaw. I'll confirm that later. In the meantime, there's a cloud covering the mountaintop, letting me imagine how cold it must be up there.

It's much lighter now and I now can appreciate the beauty around me. Unfortunately, it also made me see some of the ugliness. There's a factory in the horizon spewing thick black smoke. I would not want to know what kind of smoke that is.

I'm not quite sure of what activities are planned for us today. I have two options actually. To go boating at the lake or go swimming at the pool. Or I could sleep later on. Nah. I'll sleep in the car on the way home. Four hours is hell on my back.

Speaking of my back, I've been having these horrible lower backaches lately. According to my masseuse, it's work-related. Maybe I should ask for hazard pay. At least I don't have tension headaches...yet.

We bought a car last Friday. A 1994 silver 2-door Honda Hatchback. It's really cute and just right for us siblings. My sisters are very excited about it. Cheryll already got a non-pro license. I still have to freshen up my skills before I can get a license. It's been more than 10 years ever since I drove.

It's already 6 am. That's enough typing and thinking now. It's light enough for me to find my way to the lake. I need the exercise and the fresh air.

No comments: