Monday, December 22, 2003

"You Owe Me Awe!"

The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
(possible spoilers)

That line echoed in my ahead after watching movie. Maybe that was why I kept my friends awake trying to remember which movie that line came from (a couple of hours later, I remembered! It was uttered by Ralph Fiennes character in the movie Red Dragon during the scene with the tabloid reporter). Awe is definitely what we owe the movie, Mr. Jackson and the cast. Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King deserves nothing less.

It deserves the title "Best Movie Ever Made" and being an avid movie watcher myself, this title does not come lightly. Now I know I have a ready and right answer every time somebody asks me "What is your favorite movie?" I haven't watched a movie that evoked every emotion from me and were my emotions ever evoked! I laughed, I cried, I screamed in fright.

The whole movie deserves tons of awards. I wish there would be a category for "Best CGI Performance". Shelob and Gollum deserves such an award. They really did good work on the spider and Gollum...Gollum just leaves me speechless.

When Sam said, "Let it go, Mr. Frodo," in the movie's climax, I can't help but relate to the incident. Not only does it involve certain aspects of my life, but I knew I had to let go of the movie as well. Three years is a bloody long time to watch a movie but we've learned to love Middle Earth and all that it encompasses. For three years, we celebrated Christmases with visions of magnificent battle scenes, well-executed shots and heart-wrenching cinematography dancing above our heads. For the past three years, we had something to look forward to during Christmas which made me think what would next Christmas bring?

I cried when the movie ended because I knew it was time to let go. Good bye, Middle Earth. Hope to see you once again. (but then, there's always the books!).

No comments: