Thursday, February 12, 2004

BREAKING UP IS HARD TO DO

I mentioned beforehand how insensitive I have become and how I'm trying not to be that. My resolve was put to the test when a couple of friends emailed me one after the other about their respective break-ups. Both of them were so torn. Being out of the love business for so long, I was at a loss on how to help them. Do I act callous and tell both of them to get it over with or do I sympathize and emphatize?

While thinking of what to say, I suddenly remembered a short poem that was sent to me before, which I retrieved from my archives and sent it to my friends with a message that I will always be here if they need me. Hopefully it'll do for now. Here's a copy of the poem.

After a While
By Veronica A. Shoffstall

After a while you learn the subtle difference between
holding a hand and chaining a soul,

And you learn that love doesn't mean leaning and company
doesn't mean security,

And you begin to learn that kisses aren't contracts and
presents aren't promises,

And you begin to accept your defeats with your head up and
your eyes open, with the grace of an adult, not the grief
of a child,

And you learn to build all your roads on today because
tomorrow's ground is too uncertain for plans.

After a while you learn that even sunshine burns if you get
too much.

So plant your own garden and decorate your own soul,
instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers.

And you learn that you really can endure...

That you really are strong,

And you really do have worth.

Love being in the air makes me wonder whether I can still fall in love. I thought I was in love a couple of months back, but it turned out to be infatuation and just being in love with the idea of love. What does it really mean to fall in love? How do I know if I'm really in love and not infatuated?

No comments: