Saturday, February 07, 2004

Pizza Breakdown

I had some sort of nervous/stress breakdown today. The story is actually very humorous.

I previously mentioned my staffing problems and how I had to take on the slack and have improperly trained people do tasks that are usually delegated to regular staff. I had people come to me these past couple of days regarding errors made by my new temp staffs and the such. There was also an instance today wherein there were three people circling my desk trying to get my attention and I have a person on the phone and another on hold. The last straw the literally broke the camel's back was, funny enough, a Yellow Cab pizza slice.

We ordered the scrumptious feast as some sort of thank you for my staff who's moving to another department. Since pizza is a highly discouraged meal in my diet, I quietly refused the slice that was being offered to me. My officemates not used to seeing someone decline an offer of Yellow Cab Pizza began teasing me and tempting me by waving slices in front of me and kept on pestering for me to take a bite. I refused again and again. I ignored them the best I could while I was on the phone talking to another bank.

It was almost 6 pm when I finally put the phone down for my last call of the day. I was mentally, emotionally and physically exhausted. I propped my head on my hands and to my chagrin, I found myself crying. An officemate saw me and asked me what was wrong and when I refused to answer, he came by to sit beside me and started cheering me up. Unfortunately, such concern made me cry more.

I realized then that I must've been pretty hard on myself. I have so many things on my plate that my body must be telling me to slow down. Heck, I go to the gym everyday where I push myself to my available limit; I have my demanding work where I sometimes work 12 hours a day; I have my school where I have to deal with people I do not usually get along with; I have my 2 choirs where I sing once a week at church; I have my service for Singles for Christ; I have my friends who keep my grounded; and I have my job as our the family household administrator. I managed to balance my time, effort and energy to do all those things, but in the process, I forgot to factor in instances such as stress and temptation in the equation. The pizza incident is a prime example.

No comments: