Wednesday, February 25, 2004

Sleepless in Mandaluyong

My sleeping habits are really bad lately. Though how late I sleep, I always end up waking at 530 am. I don't mind the internal alarm clock if I do need to wake up that early, but I don't know how to turn it off. Like today this instance. I slept around 230 am this morning with the hope that I would wake up at 730 am (I require at least 5 to 6 hours sleep per night in order to be fully functional the next day). As my luck, I woke up at 630 am. This lack of sleep is frustrating me.

I'm going to a doctor by tomorrow or Friday and ask for help. The lack of sleep is not doing me any good. Thinking of asking for sleeping pills but I have to check whether it would indeed be helping me or just do the opposite.

Today was declared as a non-working holiday in commemoration of the 1st EDSA Revolution almost 20 years ago. I barely remember the events which unfolded that year. All I remember was that there were no classes. Instead of staying at home to reflect on this very important event in our nation's history, I went to work (after hearing mass of course).

Other than the EDSA revolution, today is also the start of the season of Lent. A season of prayer, sacrifice and charity. Most people perceive lent as a time of fasting. It is true but they make a mistake by thinking it's just all fasting. The priest's homily today mentioned that fasting does not only pertain to food, but not doing or spending for something which you usually do. Putting it on a concrete example, I decided to fast on taxi rides. I'm sometimes so lazy that I usually take a cab when I could take a jeep or even walk the distance. Then the amount which I'm going to save from those taxi rides will be given to charity. It's not enough that you fast but you also give.

Prayer is also important. I am guilty of forgetting this sometimes. I've decided to move my prayer time in the morning since I noticed that my sleepiness at night prevents me from doing proper reflections. I feel lighter when I go to work that day (and it's not just the lost pounds).

I'm also happy to note that I can fit into my old clothes again. The other week, I managed to fit snugly into a pair of jeans which I last wore last 2001. I was so happy about it that I forgot the company policy of disallowing jeans in the workplace on Fridays. I braved my boss' ire and proudly wore jeans to work.

No comments: