Saturday, May 15, 2004

Troy

I was not looking forward to this movie. I mean, I'm not a fan of Brad Pitt and Orlando Bloom (whom I adore) plays a pansy prince in the movie. What else is there to look forward to in this film? Well, I was in for a pleasant surprise.

For one, I fell in love with Brad Pitt all over again. I fell in love with him in Meet Joe Black but dropped him when I saw him in 7 Years in Tibet and Ocean's 11 (he did nothing but eat in this movie. I swear, every scene has him eating. I already have enough problems with my eating habits as it is!) and his other nonsense films. But this film, oh wow! Leo had to wipe the drool off my face! Never mind if Brad's face does not change expressions or if he does that trademark brooding expression of his. But he looks absolutely adorable!

And Orlando Bloom! That's another surprise. I really despised his character especially the time he went running back to his brother just when Menalaus was going to kill him. I was not familiar with the story but I wanted Menalaus to kill him then and there. I felt that Orlando Bloom betrayed the memory of Legolas by playing such a cowardly role. Oh but he redeemed himself in the end. I could not help but jump up in my seat and scream "Legolas!" just when he was shooting arrows at Brad Pitt. I gave Paris a round of applause just as much as I would give Legolas. Nevertheless, of all Orlando Bloom's characters, it's Paris I like the least. Heck, I like his character in Black Hawk Down more! At least in Black Hawk Down, his character died with honor.

Too bad there's less time devoted on Sean Bean's character as well (Odysseus). Once again, he reprises his role as a warrior by playing a king who was called to battle by Agamemnon. He was a wonder in the battlefield.

The fight scenes were also impressive. Something like Gladiator probably (but then Gladiator was very bloody. Wolfgang Petersen showed bloody restraint in this movie), but not quite. I liked the scene between Brad Pitt and the giant where the fight was over in seconds (is that a trademark move of his? Jumping and piercing the enemy's neck/shoulder?). And the fight between Hektor and Achilles is also something to behold. I also can't help but shed a tear (one tear lang ha!) over the emotional scene between Achilles and Hektor's father. Found it corny though when Achilles cried over Hektor's body.

Overall, I liked the movie. I'll definitely get a DVD of this and watch the party where Paris was shooting his arrows. (See, I do have a backbone! And I will show all of you even if it will remind all of you of Legolas!)

No comments: