Thursday, May 06, 2004

Van Helsing

I found the movie very funny. Compounded by the fact that the stranger seated on my other side slept throughout the movie and was snoring very soundly.

Like any movie review, there are good points and the bad points. Since I found the movie ok, let's go with the good points first.

I can't find anything to complain about with regards to the special effects department. Stephen Sommers is known for his fantasy films ("The Mummy" and the corresponding sequel) and he managed to deliver in that area. However, there are some sweeping shots which reminds me of Lord of the Rings (like scenes where Gandalf fell in the abyss, the shot of the trees and Orthanc burning). Nevertheless, the effects are nothing to complain about. Make sure you watch the movie in a theater with a good Dolby sound surround (Cinema 1 or 2 are good theaters to watch this movie in).

The film is also full of eye candy. I can't help but drool when Hugh Jackman ripped his shirt off and showed that really muscled chest which made him famous. There was also an instance when you think that Wolverine will be jumping into the screen. Kate Beckinsale is also very scrumptious (long curly hair, figure hugging blouse and pants). I was so envious when she and Hugh engaged in that short liplock. The Brides of Dracula also filled out very nicely. They're so beautiful in their low-cut dresses showing their generous cleavage (except for the other one who has no cleavage to speak of). One bride reminded me of Sarah Jessica Parker's character in Hocus Pocus. And speaking of reminder, the guy who played Count Dracula reminds me so much of Kevin Roy--lead singer of Razorback. I don't know why. Must be the hair.

David Wenham is also surprising here (did I get his name right?). We all know him as the guy who played Boromir's brother, Faramir in the Lord of the Rings series. He looks like Faramir but he doesn't sound like Faramir. In Van Helsing, he played a very authentic monk/friar/priest. He's a cross between James Bond's Q and Robinhood's Friar Tuck. Go figure.

Let's now go into the debit side of this movie.

Actually, it would depend on how you take it. The movie is absolutely cheesy. There is no plot to speak of and the dialogues are so cheesy that you can use it to bake a family sized Shakey's garlic and cheese pizza! It's so cheesy to the point of being amusing that you can't help but laugh. Good thing the theater has a good sound system which prevented my other seatmates from hearing me laugh. It somehow reminded me of Arnold Schwazzeneger's quips as Mr. Freeze in Batman and Robin.

The premises used in the movie is also questionable. Being familiar with the fantasy genre, I found the idea of having vampire children amusing--especially the way they were made. It's like they laid eggs or something.

The movie is still an amusing watch. It's something that you would want to see if there's nothing else for you to do. Besides, I want to hear those cheesy lines again.

No comments: