Monday, April 09, 2007

A New (probably Old) Obsession

Okay, I know that I'm a late bloomer but I think this takes the cake.


Ever since College, the Dragonlance series is something that my friends have influenced me to read. I managed to read 6 books from the series back then written by the duo of Hickman and Weiss. I managed to rediscover the series a few months back and now that I have the means to acquire these books, I'm hooked.


Unfortunately, this is going to get quite expensive. A paperback nowadays costs P349. A big jump from P125 when I was in College. The Dragonlance series started in the 1980's and we're talking about more than 150 books and most of them are out of print already. Some of my friends are telling me to just get the ebooks, but I want the printed version dammit. I hate reading onscreen.


I have a very extensive collection of series. From the fantasy genre, I have Harry Potter (well, it's children's actually but I prefer to rate it as fantasy) all 6 hardbound and waiting for the 7th to be released on July, Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind (but I've stopped at book 6 as I've grown tired of the series), Death Gate Cycle (7 books) by the dynamic duo of Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman (the principal authors of Dragonlance), Artemis Fowl (got only the first 3 books), The Chronicles of Narnia (all 7), all paperback books of Neil Gaiman (including collections), The Sandman graphic novels (10 of them), Legend of the 5 Rings Clan Wars (7 books) and I'll probably include here my complete collection of Pugad Baboy Comics (all 19 of them).  


Of course, there's the fiction series. My family have helped me collect the following authors: Jude Deveraux (her new books are not that good as her old ones), Judith McNaught, Linda Lael Miller, Linda Howard, Catherine Coulter, Julie Garwood (her new books rock!). Deveraux, McNaught, Coulter and Garwood are known for their family sagas. Among the four, Garwood is the only one who writes nowadays. She at least has one new book a year and they're good. However, I would like to think that Deveraux (I maybe wrong) pioneered family sagas. She managed to churn out books of the Montgomery family. Heck, I think all her books are based on this very prolific family.


Recently, I discovered Dan Brown (a few years ago actually. Before The Da Vinci Code came out), Mary Janice Davidson (her Undead series are very humorous), Cecilia Ahern (gives you a different perspective of Scotland. I just realized that I haven't read a book with Scotland as a setting) and Arnold Arre (I have his 3 graphic novels--After Eden, the award-winning The Mythology Class and the recently released Andong Agimat. I used to have his Trip to Tagaytay comic but someone borrowed it from me and hasn't returned it. Unfortunately, I forgot who borrowed it from me).


Back to Dragonlance. I'll be setting up a website which will contain the list of all Dragonlance books. I'll be crossing off books from that list from time to time. To those who would want to give me gifts or whatever, you're welcome to check out the list. Hehe.


I think I have more than 500 books now. Last time I did an inventory two years ago, I have 450+. My problem now is what books I will be bringing with me when I move to Leo's house when we get married. I also need to find a way to preserve them. I hate the way they turn brown and get all dusty and musty. Going back to read an old book can be difficult especially if I have to sneeze and cough my way through it.

1 comment:

Rene David said...

Make a small library in your new home. Your future children will surely enjoy them. DON"T GIVE THEM AWAY!!!! You can probably name the room "THE DRAGONPLACE"