Saturday, April 21, 2007

Work Engagement

I'm so glad that I haven't been to work for two consecutive Saturdays. Ever since January this year, I go to work every Saturday and the only time I missed work was last February 3 when I got sick and March 10 when I had my measurements with Cecil. But since work has normalized, we've cut down on Saturday overtimes.


However, I still work late during weekdays. Just this week, I missed the shuttle Thursday night as I came down around 10pm already (the Sucat shuttle last trip beside our office is 10pm. But I came down too late). I had no choice but to take a cab going to Landmark (I could have walked or taken the jeepney but I was dead tired already) and caught the shuttle there. Even last night, I left the office around 1030 and got home around past 11 already. My mind was already floating due to the fact that I'm so tired and I haven't eaten dinner. I just took a quick shower, collapsed in bed and fell asleep immediately. Hmmm...it means I worked 15 hours yesterday (I was in the office by 730 am) with less than an hour break for lunch.


My current work is a mix of repetitive, decision making and problem-solving processes. Due to my work background, a lot of people are "engaging" me more than ever before. My phone is always ringing off the hook or I always have unexpected visitors at my workstation. I only get to do my real work after 530pm when people have started going home. I enjoy the problem-solving part as I get to pick at processes and come up with possible and acceptable solutions without sacrificing productivity and cost. In hindsight, even though I was miserable in my previous position, I learned a lot and I mean a LOT. I learned to think out of the box and to poke and probe at processes. I learned to ask the question "Why" instead of just keeping quiet--"Why are you doing this? What's the purpose? Why is this being done first before the other one?". It can get pretty sticky sometimes but I'm working on my diplomatic skills to ensure that I don't come on too strong and offending people in my attempt to improve practices.


Even with the late nights, I'm in a happier place now than I was before. I feel actually more appreciated and with a sense of purpose. We're also taking steps to ensure that the late nights won't be perpetual. Additional persons are coming in by next week which would ease the load and pressure off. I could transwer some of my work so I can concentrate on the pending projects and fixing processes.


====================================


On a more serious note, I sympathize with the people of Virginia Tech for the tragedy that happened in their school on Tuesday. I saw some videos in YouTube that paid tribute to those who were killed and I could not help but cry.


Be at peace.

3 comments:

jennie smith said...

Well..looks like additional personnel is needed to ease your workload and if that happens, with proper training and guidance, empower your worker or subordinate to make some decisions within an established box. In healthcare as in any other business endeavors, leading on improving processes and performance is a vital part of a managers chore. Atta girl! My daughter speaks of mature stuff now...how my baby has grown!

Rene David said...

Indeed she has grown...I very very proud of what you've reached Sunshine and how you've matured.I love you.

JC Sobejana said...

shine, whats the news you are suppose to tell us???? remember the blog you wrote before. is it a promotion?