Saturday, June 03, 2006

Lonely at the Top

I just proved that the adage that "it's lonely at the top" is true. From the 5th floor, I moved to the 10th floor and the environment there is really different. It's more quiet compared to the noise at the 5th floor (if the department beside your cubicle is collections AND at the really delinquent bucket, it can get REALLY noisy). In fact, whenever my cellphone would go off, I would cringe at the noise it would make. Compared to the time when I was in the 5th floor when I would put my cellphone volume on high to just hear it above the din. Also, it's seldom that they play music at the 10th floor. Three VP's are located in the floor/wing that am occupying and they're not really keen on noise. Moreover, the department where I've recently relocated is just outside the head of our business.

It can also get quite lonely. I miss having someone to talk to as my colleagues are rarely in their workstations. Most of the time we would be out in meetings all throughout the building. My cellphone gets quite a workout nowadays as it's the only way we can get in touch with each other (my boss would call and would ask me to attend this meeting etc etc). A couple of times, I had to eat lunch by myself as my schedule is quite irregular. Like last Thursday, my first day in the job, I was supposed to have lunch with a friend at 1130 but my boss suddenly called and asked us to attend a meeting. So I had to cancel instead of having my friend wait for me and good thing because the meeting ended at 130. Last Friday, I ate lunch where my former department is located. My workstation there is still vacant and I welcome the noise. All the silence at the 10th floor was getting into my nerves. Yes, it enables me too work (if you have to read lots of documents and comment on them, you have to really concentrate) but sometimes, it's just too much!

My workstation has its plus factors though. I was given a digital phone with caller ID (thank GOD for caller ID!!!) and it's located near the water station/pantry area! Yahoo!!! Easy access to water and food! Moreover, it's really cold. So I can wear my corporate attire without worrying whether I'm going to sweat through them throughout the day (it's really hot at the 5th floor. Not surprising as the 5th floor is packed with people!).

But who am I complain? I'm blessed with this new job and I find it interesting. I'm learning a lot each day and I'm appreciating my company and the business more. I still miss the people I used to work with, but I was given this opportunity and I have to make the most out of it.

No comments: