Sunday, September 05, 2004

All By Ourselves

Day four of having no househelp.

Our househelp of almost seven years had to rush home at Bicol due to an emergency (her son had an accident). Much as I enjoy (not) the exercise culled from all the household chores, it's still very tiring.

Just this morning, my sister-in-law and I did the laundry, I cleaned the living room and arranged our 250+ dvd collection, I also washed the dishes after lunch.

When Leo came to pick me up at around 1 pm, I was wilting. All I wanted was to lie down and sleep. But nevertheless, I took a bath (scrubbed myself down with RiceMilk scrub and tried to get every dirt that I accumulated out of my skin) and made myself presentable.

We then proceeded to Greenbelt 1 where we watch Supersize Me. Ah yes, Supersize Me. I recommend this movie to EVERYONE. After watching that movie, I will never look
at McD's the same way ever again. It made me resolve that I will never let my
children (if ever I'll be blessed to have them) be too addicted to fastfood
chains. I will never use Jollibee or McDonald's as a reward for them.

The movie also revealed some interesting facts. Americans are the fattest people on earth, and it's somehow correlated to their fastfood industry. Their food portions are directly proportional to their weight. I was shocked when I saw that they had a
supersize meal. I thought that it was equivalent to our local version of "Go
Bigtime" or "Go Large", but apparently, "Supersize Me" is twice as big as the
regular serving. So you have the kiddie size, regular size, biggie size AND
supersize!

One of the postcripts said that after the film came out at the Sundance festival, Mcd's removed the Supersize option from their menu and introduced a meal to promote an active lifestyle as opposed to a sedentary one.

The documentary came about after the director/producer saw an article about two teenage girls suing McD's for feeding them food which lead to their obesity. The judge wanted to trash the lawsuit but gave the girls the chance to prove that the food from McD's were the direct cause of their extreme weight gain. Morgan Spurlock (the director/producer) wanted to prove if that could happen so he ate NOTHING but food from the McDonald's menu for 30 days.

It's a very interesting film and it documented his McDonald's trips and his consultations with his doctors. A lot of points raised by this movie especially about health. No wondermy mom is so worried about me and my weight.

Speaking of weight, I lost 5 lbs last month and hopefully, I'm continuing to lose. I'm due at my doctor for two more weeks and I pray that I've lost a decent amount by then.

No comments: