Sunday, November 02, 2008

Seven Months (28 weeks)

I'm starting my 7th month of pregnancy this coming week. I wasn't able to see my doctor yesterday as it was a holiday. Hopefully, I'll be able to make it this coming week. This Saturday will be our last day of birth classes and hopefully I can make the afternoon schedule.

Breathing is becoming more difficult. Last Friday, I could feel my baby pushing against my lungs so I really felt out of breath. Finding a comfortable sleeping position is also becoming a challenge. Flat on my back is definitely not possible so I switch from my left or right side.

Our class yesterday tackled drugs that can be given to women giving birth. I'm still not decisive on what drugs to take and I have to talk it over with my doctor. I have officemates who are advocates of "twilight" or the painless way of giving birth. It's given through IV and though the mother is awake during the birth, she totally forgets the experience afterwards. I don't know if that's something I want. Spinal block and epidural is also something that I'm not comfortable with as I'm really squirming at the thought of having a needle up my spine.

I have a friend who went through the whole thing without anaesthesia--just the local anaesthesia for the episiotomy. I don't know if I'm going to be strong enough to bear the pain but hopefully the breathing exercises that we learned in our classes will help me cope. At least I have the drug option in case I can't bear it.


1 comment:

Norrie Blackeby said...

This all sounds too painful to contemplate! ouch!