Wednesday, August 25, 2004

AVP and the Stepfords

(spoiler alert)

I'm allergic to the AVP initials since it reminds me too much of work (Assistant Vice President). Though I do wish that I have AVP status (not!), in this case AVP means Alien vs Predator (was going to say Predicate. doh!).

I was hesitant in watching AVP since I do not relish the thought of seeing mankind so helpless. However, the SO wanted to see it and after a bit of barganing, we went off to Greenbelt.

I did not expect much from the movie, but boy was I entertained! Entertained in a sense that I did nothing except pick fun at the cheesy dialogue (The enemy of our enemy is our friend. Hahahahahah) and absurd plotline (not to mention the misleading teasers). I found it hilarious when a Predator, who is supposed to be "superior" to the wheedling and worshipping humans, communicated with the only human left in the expedition. I expected more from him/it, but to describe a "bomb" in such a way was just humorous.

Leo said that he expected more action from it and there was less gore as compared to the Alien movies.

Bottom line, don't expect anything new in this movie. If you like cheese, then you'll like this.

STEPFORDS

This movie is a remake from a classic. I can't recall who were part of the first movie but this new one featured an amusing Nicole Kidman and Matthew Broderick. In the supporting roles are Glen Close, Christopher Walken and Bette Midler.

With such an outstanding cast, I expected so much from this movie, but the hole-ridden plotline brought everyone done. There were so many questions raised by the movie which it failed to answer in the end.

I'm sorry, my mind has been trained by my sci-fi/fantasy freak friends that I could not help but question their concept of robotics. It seemed so improbable that it's difficult for me to suspend reality just to accept their premise.

Bottom line, not worth watching. Although seeing Nicole Kidman and Faith Hill so dolled up could be nice. They're so pretty!

No comments: