Sunday, August 01, 2004

Imeldifically Imelda

I had second thoughts watching Imelda since I'm not much into documentaries. But since the SO loves watching art films (e.g. Zaoitchi, et al), I went along and wondered whether I should've lobbied for "Ella Enchanted". But since I was curious on whether the film really deserved the "Best Cinematography" Award and also to see why Imelda asked for a TRO, might as well watch it.

I was prepared to be bored. I mean, I've always known Imelda to be imeldific, so what else do I need to know about her? But I found myself being surprisingly entertained.

The film presented Imelda in a different light. I haven't laughed that hard over a film in a long time. Usually, it's just half-laughs or forced smiles. But four hours after leaving the cinema, I still chuckle out loud whenever I remember her quips and the testimonies of Fr. James Reuter and others. You will definitely get more than her shoes.

Based on the film, one could say that Imelda is child-like or even naive. But then it could be all an act. Imelda is obsessed with beauty. Specifically, her beauty. Her philosophy is that God is love, love is beauty, therefore, God is beauty. She even harbors the thought that when she dies, God will embrace her and welcome her to heaven (feel free to think otherwise).

It was also the first time that I learned that Imelda survived an "assassination" attempt wherein a man in a suit came at her with a jungle bolo. I was laughing when she narrated this experience. She still managed to "joke" about it although when she first said it, I really thought she was serious!

After leaving the theater, you would not know whether to love her or hate her. One thing's for sure, Imelda Marcos is definitely one of a kind.

No comments: