Saturday, August 07, 2004

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

"How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot. Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!" - Alexander Pope

The SO discovered this movie a few months back. He's been harping for us to see it, even as far as finding the poem of Alexander Pope containing the said title and sending it to me. I had doubts back then since Jim Carrey in a serious role sounds...serious. But since I trust my SO's taste in movies, I acceded and we watched the film this afternoon.

I left the theater feeling so in love than I have ever been before. Maybe because I saw myself or my SO in Jim Carrey's (Joel) or Kate Winslet's (Clementine) characters. I don't know if it's the introversion of Joel or the extroversion of Clementine. Maybe because I loved the movie's premise wherein if the memories of a person has been erased, the feeling will always remain. Moreover if the love shared is the real kind of love.

It's actually an enjoyable movie. To quote one review I read: "Think of a bad memory, your most painful memory, your most painful memory involving a loved one, your most painful memory involving a lover. To what lengths would you go in order to expunge that memory? If you succeeded in expunging those most painful memories, would it make you happy? The preceding philosophical postulate is the basis for the latest in the all too brief list of films written by Charlie Kaufman, who gave us Being John Malkovich, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind and Adaptation. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind stars Jim Carey and Kate Winslet as Joel Barish and Clementine Kruzynski, a couple who, after a rocky relationship, decide to expunge one another from their respective memories in order to move on with their lives without the "getting over each other" period."

The timeline might be difficult to follow at first, but once you get the hang of it (watch out for Kate Winslet's hair), you can settle down and enjoy the scenery.

No comments: