Saturday, August 28, 2004

Hellos and Goodbyes

I'm not much of a party person. I'm not even someone you may call a life of the party. I'm content to be just a participant (although there are times wherein I'm "forced" to be a host. But that's another story).

I went to two parties today. The first one was for my Business Law class held at Congo Grill Pasay Road, and the other party was at Krocodile Jupiter which was a despedida for my officemate who also happens to be a close friend.

I wanted to go to both parties because first, I wanted to bond with my classmates and perhaps, future groupmates and second, I also wanted to see the surprises we had planned for my officemate.

As luck may have it, I missed the salient points in the program of both parties. All I caught was the eating (hey, I actually got my money's worth of food!). However, they waited for me to give my speech at the despedida (which reduced me and our officemate to tears). Ganon pala yon? If you're forced to give an impromptu speech, you barely have time to think and all the words that come spilling out of your mouth comes from your heart. That's what Sands, my officemate, told me. My speech was the only one that made her cry because she knew it came from the heart.

When I first started working at SC four years ago, I was basically a loner. I ate lunch by myself and barely socialize with my other officemates. But on my first year, I was befriended by Rach. She was then, newly married and pregnant with her first child. She, together with Eu, were my lunchmates and confidantes. We would have lunch at the pantry and walk around at Megamall afterwards (this was when we were based in Ortigas).

Those two people were the first two real friends I ever had in that office. Rach was the first one who noticed that I'm a person who makes acquaintances easily, but rarely makes friends. I guess it's a big thing if I call a person, a friend. But then, not all my "friends" know that.

Less than a year after we transferred to Makati, Rach moved to another department leaving Eu and me alone to enjoy each others company. However, as luck would have it, our department was split into two separating me and Eu. Less than a year after we got separated, Eu was pirated by our previous boss and is now working for another company.

After we went our own ways, I returned to my old habit of having lunch by my lonesome or waiting for my other officemates to invite me out (which rarely happened). I didn't mind though since I'm comfortable with my own company. Moreover, I had God to talk with.

A couple of years ago, Sands joined us fresh from CB. I barely noticed her and was happy in my little corner. It was only by accident that we discovered that we shared the common passion for God, among other things. She started inviting me to have lunch with her and we were there in our little corner swapping Bible stories and personal experiences. It was a mini-prayer meeting at lunch. It was there that our friendship started.

When I was given more responsibilities, our manager grouped us three girls together: Sands, Jas and me. We would have lunch out together, consult with each other, laugh with each other and moreover, cry with each other. I knew then, that I found new friends who I can share my life with and for them to share their life with me.

But now the cycle starts once again. Sands resigned because of her wedding preparations and to help her husband with his business. Jas is due to resign soon since her husband is a nurse and they're due to leave--hopefully--by early next year.

It's sad for me to see all my friends go leaving me there in my little corner. But that's ok. As corny and as cheesy as it may sound, people come and go, but friends will always stay. Even if these people have gone to other places, they have touched my life and have imprinted in my memory, their presence and their characters. People whom I will always remember and whose goodness and beauty will forever reverberate through my life.

But you know, perhaps, I'll make new friends again. People who will discover me in my little corner. People who'll notice that I'm not another face in the wall and having a personality that's distinct and unique. Maybe there will come another Rach, Eu, Sands or Jas.

No comments: