Thursday, August 26, 2004

No Classes, No Work and a Funeral

Classes were called off the second day in a row. I guess it's also good that I've been on vacation leave for the past two days. Hopefully, the rains won't be as bad tomorrow since I'm going back to work. Our finals were also moved tomorrow.

Around 6 this morning, I received a text from a close friend that her mom died. I was barely awake and I texted our common friends and waited for news on where the wake/burial will be. At lunch time, in the middle of my pedicure session, her hubby called me and begged me to come for moral support. Unfortunately, he could not wait for me since they had to catch the mass before the cremation. Furthermore, the cremation was all the way at Sucat, Paranaque. I was ready to beg off but I knew I could not disappoint my friend so I tried to find another way.

To make the long story short, I just decided to take an expensive cab ride all the way to Sucat (cost me around Php200 inclusive of toll fees. Doh!). I got there while the cremation was ongoing and I chatted with her hubby while my friend was fixing the other cremation/post-cremation arrangements.

I stayed until they opened the viewing room showing the bereaved the cremated remains (wonder why the skeleton is white after burning? should it not be black?). They gathered the ashes in an urn and we hied off to the funeral parlor where her ashes, instead of the usual body, was displayed for viewing before it will be flown to Iloilo to her final resting place. Afterwhich, her hubby and I returned to Mandaluyong so he can pick up his mother to return to the wake and he dropped me off too.

I was not sorry that I went through all those hassle just for a friend who I haven't seen for a long time. But that's just the point. It was an opportunity for me to see her and my goddaughter as well (who has grown up to be a very cute kid--albeit a naughty one at that. Will show a picture soon).

No comments: