Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Happiness

I have a friend who's currently going through something right now. It has come to the point that people are noticing that there is something wrong. She is normally a bubbly person and she makes us laugh--a lot. For the past few days, she's been pretty quiet and subdued and for the first time in ages, I get to talk more than her. I've been giving her my two cents worth and have shared some of my words of wisdom with her. I thought I'd share it here so in case I would need to refer it to the future, I'll just bring up this link.

  • Happiness is a decision and must come from within. It should not be dependent on a thing or another person. I love my husband and my son but they are not the source of my happiness. They are one of the reasons but they do not ultimately make me happy. I make me happy. What if something happens to the person or if the thing was taken away, where will that leave me? 
  • There is nothing wrong in being sad. It actually makes me appreciate being happy more. Also, I give myself a deadline on my sadness. Whenever I feel depressed, I let myself wallow in it but I would consciously tell myself when enough is enough. I would tell myself, "Today, I will be happy," and somehow, it works!
  • This too shall end. Whenever I'm going through a rough patch, I would tell myself, "This too shall pass." The world does not stop whenever I'm down on my knees. Life goes on and so shall too the hardships. I will overcome and I will conquer. And I will learn.
  • Things happen for a reason. Always. I'm a true believer of this. Of all the hardships that I went through, I came out of it a better person. I believe that I am the person I am now because of all the things that has happened to me -- good and bad.


No comments: